585,715 active members*
4,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Small, *vertical* metal bandsaw? cutting 12 ga 304 ss sheet...

Small, *vertical* metal bandsaw? cutting 12 ga 304 ss sheet...

I am doing a lot of prototypes in 12 gauge 304 stainless. Usually, in production, I'll have the parts laser or waterjet cut, but I want to be able to sketch a design at breakfast, and have it in hand by lunch. So, I'm thinking about a vertical metal bandsaw.

* How hard will it be to cut 12 gauge stainless on one of these? I'm used to a 14" delta wood bandsaw.

* I know about the 4x6 cheapie horizontal/vertical saws. They give me the willies looking at them when they are vertical. Is there another option without going to a $1000 14" vertical metal bandsaw?

* I don't cut up lots of stock, so I don't think I will miss the horizontal aspect. Is there something else I'm missing?

* Do you think I could take a 12" jet wood bandsaw and change the pullies to slow it down enough?

* Any suggestions on blade?

* Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

-Jeff

You will not get your wood Bsaw slow enough UNLESS you do like we did on our first Vert saw, add a gearbox to get your SFM down to 150 - 250.
    You will want to use a 14 TPI (or so) blade that is a high quality bi-metal construction.
    You will also want some ear plugs - cutting sheet metal really sings.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks DB...

I found a used 10" rockwell that is belt driven that I should be picking up today.

I'm hoping it is belt driven from the stand so I can do a two stage pully reduction. I calculate I can get it under 200 SFPM that way.

Would it help to double stick tape the sheet to a sheet of plywood for support while cutting?

-Jeff

Not to be a nuisance, but my Wilton band saw (Enco model #505-1372) has a range of 32-3000 SFM, and I've had little fun cutting thin stuff especially stainless!

The rule is to have three teeth in the work at all times, so make sure you have a really fine blade!

Eric

I'm planning on getting a 24 TPI blade for it....

If it works out, I'll do a web page article up.

-Jeff

Well - not trying to stir anything up but IMO 2 teeth is proper engagement.
    You have to be careful with SS because it work hardens very easy. It is better to use a more agressive cut to help reduce the potential of this.
    Flood coolant will work, paste will make the chips stick to the teeth and cause problems (potentially broken teeth).
    www.integratedmechanical.ca