584,846 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Vector Drive 20/15 Need Help

Haas Vector Drive 20/15 Need Help

Hi Lads:wave:

I am new here,
    I have a vf 2 in my workshop loved the thing to bits until today. The spindle drive packed in.
    The Fault is the spindle wont stop, over voltage pops up on the screen.
    All I done so far after talking to Haas USA was checked the brake cable has a resistance of 8.6om
    anybody know how to repair these drives rather than spend $4000 on a new one
    Thanks
    Pat

The spindle will start and run but when you go to stop you get an overvoltage alarm and the spindle coasts to a halt?

This sounds a bit like an open circuit on the regen resistor. Is that what you were looking for when you measured the resistance of the brake cable?

o

Hi Geof

Yes This is what is happening and I checked the "regen resistor" at the drive 8.6om. So I think there is a fault on the circut board that is not turning this on. Any Ideas

Regards
    pat

If it is not an open circuit somewhere out on the resistor assembly no I do not have ideas. I have heard of the resistors themselves going open circuit.

Thank's anyway Geof

I have a vf4 with the same drive Ill pull it apart and try figer out what exactly is faulty. I expect a sm 10c component just a matter of finding which one. Ill post here if I find it

Regards
    Pat

ps: Thanks also to Bulld for your input a person of few words(wedge)

Same problem, second phase

Hi, TEcko, HI Guys
    I had same problem the first time, so I opened the Drive, and found a 100 ohms 50 watts resistor, burned, but the most important was the IXGN 60N60 opened, this is a 2" x 2" IGBT module, it is located at the second level, behind a big black relay, has 4 screws on top, as I could guess, it works closing intermitelntly for the regen. resistor and the DC bus to brake the spindle. It was kind of difficult to find it available, even on internet, 10 pcs. was the minimun order, eitherway, was not expensive to buy the 10 pcs.. As soon I installed it, it all worked ok for aprox 15 days Till one day that the operator notice that the regen resistor on the top, got totally red once and he turned the machine off. The same alarms you mention appeared again. I opened the drive once more, checking for same components failed, changed the IGBT and nothing. Im suspecting on that SM component you mention, but wich one it could be?, I checked the posibles ones and nothing happened. Have you found anything else that could be of help? Is there any company in USA that could sale just the top board?, pls. let me know, the mail or phone of the one that sales the 4k new one to you.
    Does any body have the pin description for this Drive's Conector, to see if it is posible to replace it for a comercial vector drive?
    All the help would be very apreciated.
    Thank you