585,762 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > DM556, DM856, Chinese logo, English Logo, No logo... Ebay confusion

DM556, DM856, Chinese logo, English Logo, No logo... Ebay confusion

So I am upgrading my 4 year old 2'x4' CNC with Gecko g540 to digital controllers, smoothstepper ethernet and support for a spindle...

I am, however, running into confusion while I try to order drivers. I would like to go to 5 drivers so I can control my X(2),Y,Z and add an A so the MX4660 is out.. I was looking at the DM556, but there seems to be two or three versions on ebay.. One with 4 chinese kanji next to the leadshine logo and above the leadshine name, then the one that is just logo and name, and finally a clear knockoff that is just name (and not even the right font)...

Also there is the 856 vs the 556... I am not sure why I would choose one over the other with regards to driving my system well.. everything is currently the older NEMA 23 - 3/8" (Low Inductance 320 oz-in) motors from CNCRouterparts.com

I have attached pictures of the two "reputable looking" drivers... The price differences seem all over the board, and conterfiting is not a 'new thing' to deal with from china or on ebay so I figured I would ask before I bough 5 of anything :-)..

(considered getting SMD660's but I can only find them from 1 supplier and they are more expensive then 865's and I am not sure they are demonstrably better)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600 (1).jpg   s-l1600.jpg  

Re: DM556, DM856, Chinese logo, English Logo, No logo... Ebay confusion

I should add, one OTHER thing that is confusing is that the DM856 is not on Leadshine's website.. .And is available in both chinese and english logos...

Here's an idea... don't by crap from China on ebay. Buy from local, reputable, sellers who actually document and support their products.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

The DM856 is on Leadshine's website.

Leadshine Technology Co., Ltd.

As for 856 vs 556, you would choose the 856 if you want to run higher voltage to your motors. The 856 can go to 80V whereas the 556 can go to 50V

None of the images I saw on the leadshine site showed driver with Chinese characters above the logo. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't though.

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Here's an idea... don't by crap from China on ebay. Buy from local, reputable, sellers who actually document and support their products.
    Surprisingly not useful, and slightly troll-ish... You do realize Leadshine is a chinese company so everything they make is "crap from china". Also, not sure about you, but the "local" Hobbyist CNC shop that I can pop on down to doesn't exist...

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    The DM856 is on Leadshine's website.

Leadshine Technology Co., Ltd.

As for 856 vs 556, you would choose the 856 if you want to run higher voltage to your motors. The 856 can go to 80V whereas the 556 can go to 50V

None of the images I saw on the leadshine site showed driver with Chinese characters above the logo. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't though.
    What are reasons to up the voltage on the Drive? Motors only support 48v, did some googling couldn't find even any NEMA 34 motors that took more than 60volts.... But I could be all wrong and missing something..

Also, that part is wierd... You can search for it on Leadshine's website, but its not under the DM part number list.. Wierd part... almost like they perfer people buy the 870 and the 856 has been discontinued or something...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhandel View Post
    Surprisingly not useful, and slightly troll-ish... You do realize Leadshine is a chinese company so everything they make is "crap from china". Also, not sure about you, but the "local" Hobbyist CNC shop that I can pop on down to doesn't exist...
    ? If you are buying knock-offs on ebay... that are almost certainly crap from china. If you want the actual good stuff from China, buy directly from the mfgr.. not on ebay.

There are lots of options to purchase online OTHER than ebay... I'm just saying ebay is "infected" with cheap crap that isn't what it says it is.

You would be best served by buying a quality gecko-drive anyway. American made.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

So which Gecko Drive controller is the equivalent with the 856? or you prefer... I am looking to upgrade from a 540g so I have a gecko currently but the newer hybrid digital stuff is more efficient for heat, performance and resolution Which is all pretty attractive and seems legit given the reviews I have seen..