584,805 active members*
4,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best way to setup Mach3(or4) with Windows 7 64bit

Because of CAD system requirements I am committed to using W7 64 bit.

I am reading about different ways to get Mach3 to play nice with Windows7 and am wondering what is the best setup for the cost....OR am I better to purchase Mach4 and buy a USB breakout board? I am ready to purchase Mach 3 or 4 software and want to only do this once.

I have a HuanYang 2.2kw vdf spindle and would like to control speed from Mach and 4 Longs stepper axis drives.

Any thoughts?

Re: Best way to setup Mach3(or4) with Windows 7 64bit

First, I'd highly recommend that the machine has it's own PC, if you want to use the PC while the machine is running.

What you need is a motion controller, not a USB breakout board.
    There are probably a lot more motion controllers that work with Mach3, then that work with Mach4.
    However.
    Mach3 is at the end of it's life. Mach4 still has a lot of development still to go.

At this point in time, I'd recommend UCCNC and one of their motion controllers. UC100, UC300, or UC400ETH.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Having CAD on this is out of convenience so I don't have to jump back and forth from the shop to the office. It's nice to have all the software tools available inbetween cutting sessions.
    Regardless, are you saying the listed motion controllers will run well with Mach 3 and Mach 4?

I have ran a lot of different computers with Mach 3. I have tried running versions that were not stripped down and they all had issues that did not clear up until I dedicated the computer to machine control only.
    Cad and Cam software are not really what I would call simple software either. They too are CPU hogs at times. Mach 3 has a hard time allocating enough CPU on a stripped down computer depending on the job. Convenience is one thing, but having a computer controller that screws up your parts because of it is not convenient either. I would just search the site or the Mach 3 forums for a little more on recommendations.
    Lee

Regardless, are you saying the listed motion controllers will run well with Mach 3 and Mach 4?
    What I was saying was not to use either software, and use UCCNC instead. The 3 motion controllers I listed work with UCCNC, and they also work with Mach3. They do not work with Mach4.

There are a lot of motion controllers that work with Mach3 but don't work with Mach4.
    There are a few motion controllers that work with Mach4, and not with Mach3.
    And a small number that will work with both Mach3 and Mach4.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So UCCNC looks interesting. So if I understand right, I Ethernet connect to say a UC400ETH and then directly out to my stepper drives or is there an intermediate BOB?

Also, are there post processors for Mastercam, Dellcam or Bobcam?
    Thx

You need a breakout board or two.

Also, are there post processors for Mastercam, Dellcam or Bobcam?
    Probably not, but it runs Mach3 code, or generic g-code.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by Propwrench1 View Post
    Because of CAD system requirements I am committed to using W7 64 bit.

I am reading about different ways to get Mach3 to play nice with Windows7 and am wondering what is the best setup for the cost....OR am I better to purchase Mach4 and buy a USB breakout board? I am ready to purchase Mach 3 or 4 software and want to only do this once.

I have a HuanYang 2.2kw vdf spindle and would like to control speed from Mach and 4 Longs stepper axis drives.

Any thoughts?
    You already have Mach3, so tick with it. If you have a decent computer and you buy the already mentioned UC300 you will probably not have any issues even running CAD and Mach3 in parallel. Make sure you disable ALL automatic updates and DON'T run any other software which needs USB at the same time, even though, that seems to work fine as well, at least for me. I believe that running an RS485 dongle to communicate with and control the VFD using Modbus is definitely not an issue, and personally, I also have a direct USB connection to the VFD to check and change parameters if necessary, as well as a screen color calibrator with a USB ambient light and color temperature sensor which automatically adjusts screen parameters due to changing light in the room. However, I don't use any image editor at the same time, since those are really resource hogs. I don't know how your CAD software is, but you should be aware that some of those also use up quite a bit of resources, so keep an eye on it.

Anyway, after having looked at Mach4, I think for now I stay with Mach3, even if it has some bugs and problems and is a dead product. It works fine, I have used it with Windows XP Pro and parallel port, Windows 7 Pro 64 bits with UC300 and now since a few months with Windows 10 Pro 64 bits and the same UC300. Of course, going from parallel port to USB required some Mach3 parameter changes, but it was pretty simple and seamless, almost plug and play. There are alternatives, for example, Ethernet based products, like the UC400. I have no experience, but those supposed to be even better. Perhaps today I would buy that one instead of the UC300, but maybe later on I will buy that or the next generation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Propwrench1 View Post
    So UCCNC looks interesting. So if I understand right, I Ethernet connect to say a UC400ETH and then directly out to my stepper drives or is there an intermediate BOB?

Thx
    You need a BoB. The UC400, just like the UC300, is just a motion controller emulating parallel port, 2 in the UC400 and 5 in the UC300, which you have to connect to a standard BoB to split the signals and provide optical isolation and relays if you need them.

Thanks for the info. I chose to finish my setup with XP and buy my Mach 3 license for now just to get moving. My patience for a custom build can't wait any longer! FYI the Xp workstation has Solidworks loaded and is quite happy so long as the Mach sessions are ONLY Mach... I think I will work towards W7 and a motion controller so I can take advantage of the efficiency. I will also load my SW2015 seat with Dellcam xpress and see how she does but that's for another day. It appears all is well so long as Mach is running by itself.