584,829 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Replacement VFD

Does anyone have suggestions for a good replacement VFD? My 48vdc power supply got nailed by lightning and now the vfd control panel flashes and then goes blank. It's a nowforever vfd on a 2014 Patriot.

Re: Replacement VFD

What's your budget like and what're you doing with it? If you want to do any tapping, I'd make sure your replacement has an external braking resistor.
    I was talking with the seller of this unit on ebay and he said it could be ordered with the VFD preset for a braking resistor & the resistor include for $190 shipped. If you've got a bit more to spend, I'd go with a nice Hitachi unit and add a brake. As the cost & quality go up, your startup and low speed torque typically go up; eg. the ebay unit offers 150% startup torque, while the Hitachi unit offers 200% startup torque...
    I've got the newer Mill-Turn so my input voltage and motor might be different from your machine.

Re: Replacement VFD

If it's a 2014, it should be covered under warranty, but probably not for lightning strikes. Those units might have an internal fuse protection, and if you are going to replace it anyway, it wouldn't hurt to open it up and see if it's just a blown fuse. The original units are good for tapping and they have some settings you can adjust for that purpose, but realistically, about 3/8" to 1/2" tap size , depending on the material is the biggest you could probably do. I'm not sure if going to a larger VFD unit will actually translate to greater torque in your 2 HP motors, they may be operating at max power with the original 10 AMP VFD already. Here's a video on tapping that is on the Shopmaster Youtube channel.