584,814 active members*
5,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > How to setup corner rounding for CNC CAM in Dolphin (or other).

How to setup corner rounding for CNC CAM in Dolphin (or other).

Hi gang. I have a rectangle aluminum plate. .375 thick. 4 x 9. I want to run a 1/8 corner rounding operation on it. all the way around it. spec of CR end mill: 1/8 corner rad. 5/8 cutter OD. 1/2 shaft.
    My question is how do I set that up in Dolphin CAM?

Attempted: In Dolphin I setup a contour around the part. .123 deep. in CAM I made a new endmill. For the endmill size I put .OD of .502 ( .625 - .123) and max depth .124.
    In D-cam I setup the contour with left offset, use the .502 end mill, and Z of .123 in 1 pass.

Simulators are OK- But I really cannot tell if that will work as the sim cannot know that my .502 is really .625 and going over the edge by .123?
    This is my first attempt at a CR end mill in a CAM/CNC setting. I'll need to play on a few scraps obviously, but I am sure there is some proper way that I simply do not know?

Thanks.
    CG.

Re: How to setup corner rounding for CNC CAM in Dolphin (or other).

CG

In the Drawing Module you can convert Corners to Rad or Chamfer using the Filet or Chamfer feature. By selecting the feature from the menu and selecting Properties from the Sub Menu you can control the size of the Rad/Chamfer.

On a separate note the GOROUND/Options tab has an option to switch On/Off the rolling of sharp corners.

michael
    Dolphin CAD CAM Ltd

Looks like a lot of steps. Since you mentioned "others" software ,in TYPE EDIT (TYPE EDIT : CNC Milling & CAD/CAM Software | Type3) you either build the vector line with the needed rounded corners, or you can offset the tool of the desired corner as wanted.
    The only parameters to set are the corner round size or the tool size if you do not want to deal with the CAD aspect.

The Goround feature in Dolphin also allows you to specify an offset value (+ve or -ve) which is applied to the Toolpath relative to the specified geometry.
    Dolphin CAD CAM Ltd

Hello CG,

I posted this last week but it seems to have gone, anyway.....

I produced a drawing which I have attached showing how to calculate the tool sizes etc.

Currently shaped tools are not supported in the simulator but we are working on that right now.

We will be able to show corner rounding tools. T tools, threadmill etc.

Talking of threadmilling, we are working on a small standalone app that will do tapered threadmilling and also produce Fusee type threads as used in watch and clock making.

This app will use the simulator to display the job.

There will be a small charge for this app, we'll let you know when it's finished.

ATB
    Andre

Thank you very much guys! That is really good timing and a nice win for an update version. I know this forum is pretty quiet- I have 3 different Dolphin CAM jobs getting done as a project right now and I feel pretty darn fluent, can do what I need, and it's fast and flexible. I whip between CAD and CAM modules to fix things and such... So the power is there w/ a dual CAD/CAM type solution. Stick with it. We know the US side is rebuilding (chatted with the new US lead just the other day) and the passion seems real there- So kudos! All I can say to potential's is that I really like the product and what it does for me. That the forum is quiet for the install base should be of merit in some way. I understand things happen. welcome to life.. .

Thank for the attachment Andre! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by andre-dolphin View Post
    Hello CG,

I posted this last week but it seems to have gone, anyway.....

I produced a drawing which I have attached showing how to calculate the tool sizes etc.

Currently shaped tools are not supported in the simulator but we are working on that right now.

We will be able to show corner rounding tools. T tools, threadmill etc.

Talking of threadmilling, we are working on a small standalone app that will do tapered threadmilling and also produce Fusee type threads as used in watch and clock making.

This app will use the simulator to display the job.

There will be a small charge for this app, we'll let you know when it's finished.

ATB
    Andre

That is a great tip too! I will try to remember that one. :banana:
    (worthy of the Banna guy! haha).

VIDEO created now. How to setup corner rounding for CNC CAM in Dolphin (or other).

Rather than try to write the whole sha'bang up, I elected to simply whip out a Video. results came out fine for me. With programming there are so many ways to accomplish something. Comments welcome on other/simpler or just plain different methods!

https://youtu.be/vJAagAN_Mn8

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Hi gang. I have a rectangle aluminum plate. .375 thick. 4 x 9. I want to run a 1/8 corner rounding operation on it. all the way around it. spec of CR end mill: 1/8 corner rad. 5/8 cutter OD. 1/2 shaft.
    My question is how do I set that up in Dolphin CAM?

Attempted: In Dolphin I setup a contour around the part. .123 deep. in CAM I made a new endmill. For the endmill size I put .OD of .502 ( .625 - .123) and max depth .124.
    In D-cam I setup the contour with left offset, use the .502 end mill, and Z of .123 in 1 pass.

Simulators are OK- But I really cannot tell if that will work as the sim cannot know that my .502 is really .625 and going over the edge by .123?
    This is my first attempt at a CR end mill in a CAM/CNC setting. I'll need to play on a few scraps obviously, but I am sure there is some proper way that I simply do not know?

Thanks.
    CG.