584,837 active members*
5,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CNC (Mill / Lathe) Control Software (NC) > How Does the CAM software Interface with the CNC machine?

How Does the CAM software Interface with the CNC machine?

Hello all,

My first post here after searching the forums.. So far I've found CNC zone more than worth my time.

I am wondering how does a CAM software interface with a CNC milling machine?
    I am looking to set up possibly MasterCAM X2 or CAMworks software as a CAM software I'll be using.

I've heard that to interface with a controller on the machine, that its widely known that a program called MACH3 will work well for this. And you must use a printer port to connect the hardware physically from the CNC machine controller to the computer.

I'm just curious as to whether MasterCAM X2 or CAMworks can do the job of controller interfacing the G-Code like MACH3 does.

Thank You in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

-Brandon

You have almost got it right.

Mach3 is more or less used as the machine controller on machines that do NOT have their own controller. Mach directly drives the stepper boards.

On a machine like a Fadal you can get it with than Fanuc18i controller (which would be instead of Mach) or the Mazak machine has a Mazatrol controller (instead of needing Mach). On machines such as these your CAM software (MasterCAM) sends Gcode to the controller (eg Fanuc) and the Fanuc processes the G code and tells the motors what to do.

If you look at a machine like the Syil X3 it does NOT come with a controller that tells the motors what to do - so - you need a computer and a program (such as Mach) to do this.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    You have almost got it right.

Mach3 is more or less used as the machine controller on machines that do NOT have their own controller. Mach directly drives the stepper boards.

On a machine like a Fadal you can get it with than Fanuc18i controller (which would be instead of Mach) or the Mazak machine has a Mazatrol controller (instead of needing Mach). On machines such as these your CAM software (MasterCAM) sends Gcode to the controller (eg Fanuc) and the Fanuc processes the G code and tells the motors what to do.

If you look at a machine like the Syil X3 it does NOT come with a controller that tells the motors what to do - so - you need a computer and a program (such as Mach) to do this.
    You have helped me so much by this post. Thank You

So one more question, and I think you answered it already: I am looking to purchase a used table-top cnc machine. It has a computer board, which is the controller mounted upon the CNC.

So from what you're saying, I can send g-code directly to this controller:

Dynamite 2400

The funtion a CAM program is to prepare the CAD drawing for process of a CNC controller. CAM does not control the machine.
    CAM does thing like offset the tool path and design tool path for pockets etc.
    The resultant file is post-processed to suit the controller it is going to be used on, wether Mach or Mazak etc.
    It then requires a Modem program to transmit to the CNC controller, unless the CAM package is in the same CNC controller, e.g. PC.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

this is very helpful. Thank You!