585,914 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis mapping

Hi ALL , I am not sure I showed this feature yet. It is a 4th axis mapping function. You can use it to remap X or Y to the rotary axis. This allows you to use regular 2d code to do work on a cylinder in A axis.

I did one of these for Mach3 a while back and it work fine.

(;-) TP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC_4th_Swap.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Hi ALL , I am not sure I showed this feature yet. It is a 4th axis mapping function. You can use it to remap X or Y to the rotary axis. This allows you to use regular 2d code to do work on a cylinder in A axis.

I did one of these for Mach3 a while back and it work fine.

(;-) TP
    TP,

Does it just change the steps per, vel and acceleration relative to the diameter or is there something more to it?

My 4th has 6:1, plus 10uSteps setting, hence 12000st/rev.

I've always been concerned at inputting it as steps/deg that there would be a bit of rounding error... but to be fair.... on a plasma it does not make much difference....

Thanks as always and for giving us the glimpse,

Rob

Re: 4th axis mapping

Hi RObert it simply reset the steps per to make teh surface of the cylinder act like a linear drive X or Y that way yo can use an XY file to do work on say XA or YA like it would in XY. That way you can also have arcs and such on teh rotary . It makes VERY smooth cutting. NOW teh catch you ask ??? Yes there IS a catch IF you were to do VERY deep reliefs you WOULD see a touch of distortion as teh closer to teh Center point of the cylinder the more it would be distorted as the motion setting are based on teh surface of teh Work.

Now Plasma work on the 4th? or a laser ?? OH YEA . It makes THAT work very simple to program and VERY smooth to run. Say you had a tube 12" by 6" diam. You create a 2d drawing that is 12" X 18.84 that is the surface area of the cylinder . Then you draw in teh geometry need . Teh 4th wrapping then translates that into say XA motions.

(;-) TP

(;-) TP