4,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Techmachineman, WHY?

Independent CNC Programmer
    Home Page: http://www.ctcn.net/~3kings

Smartcam pro

My company has had Smartcam for years and I ended up having to learn it (my background was in Mastercam).

In the last few years I have taught myself to create/edit/combine post processors, customize, write and record macros and do some fancier work with digital image-to-toolpaths work.

My job is to output code to 9 different machines ranging from Milltronics to Excellon to Cincinnati brands.

I know a big issue with CAD/CAM software is having to edit code after generating it before sending it to the machine but I was able to configure all 9 post-processors to a point where I can "generate code" and send it straight to the machines edit-free.

I even have a custom toolbox programmed right into Smartcam that asks something along the lines of "how many vices are on the cnc mill?" which creates sub-programs in the main code to replicate work offsets automatically.

I guess what I'm trying to say is although some people may say Smartcam is behind the times on power compared to newer stuff Mastercam can do, Smartcam is highly customizable and very user-friendly. It seems like it's easier to learn and even modify some of the behind-the-scenes features.

Been using SmartCam since 1993 and still using it. V18.5 is more powerful than Mastercam.

We have used SmartCAM's Freeform Machining for years, now using the latest 18.6 version. The improvments over the last couple of years have been fantastic!
    You no longer need to import geometry, SC wil open most formats directly from the file open menu. The software can automatically generate toolpath from solid features, with many simply set parameter selections. I don't think there is any other CAM system that gives better toolpath control & the support is great.
    The ability to create & edit custom post proccessors is invaluable.

I use 19.6 version and it is the best programming software. I used Gibbs, Mastercam but SmartCam is the easiest, friendliest and it's THE BEST!!!

Page 2 of 2 12