585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma MC4VA over travel reset

Okuma MC4VA over travel reset

I picked up an Okuma MC4VA in good working condition a month ago with an OSP 5000M-G control. During transport the bed slid forward and now I am getting an over travel fault. I took off the apron and moved the bed manually however the readout on the panel stayed the same. The prox on the bed seems to be working properly and is not engaged now.
    My theory is its past the factory over travel resets in the operating system. How do I go in and reset these? Manual doesn’t show this.

Re: Okuma MC4VA over travel reset

OSP controls tend to not require homing, as the machine always knew where they are

Possibly the hard limit switch stuck down, or faulty

Sounds like there may be two issues going on here: overtravel and an encoder issue. I know you mentioned that the prox is working (btw, I don't recall any MC4VA that uses a prox switch for overtravel - they are usually roller switches), but have you tried throwing the overtravel release switch and bringing the machine up that way? As for the travel limit reset, the only thing there is that those encoders can go so many revolutions before they "flip over"; that is almost impossible to happen on an axis as it just moves back and forth. Even if it did, it just sets it back to zero and you just have to reset the stroke limits/zero offsets. The reality is if you flip the O.T. release switch and it powers up, the O.T. switch (and/or wiring) to the switch is the issue. As for the encoder issue, if it powers up and you go to move the axis (try pulse handle) and the readout doesn't move, you either have an encoder and/or wiring issue there or possibly something going on with the SVP board. You will almost certainly get a DIFF over alarm in this case, as the difference between the commanded and actual position will continue to grow until it hits the diff over limit.

I removed the Y limit switch completely and raised the head manually with a house jack. Hit the spindle reset (darn near hidden) and she powered up just fine. Thanks for the input guys!