585,700 active members*
4,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Repairing ballnut

I have a Marchantdice A3 router that I bought several years back. During the move to another premises the x-axis ballnut was accidentally separated from ballscrew and all the bearings came off and got lost.

The ballnut is made by FLI and is of type FSU1605D C000060.

Ballnut and ballscrew are in tact but the bearings are all gone. Would it be possible just to purchase new bearings from somewhere and use those to repair the router? Sadly I don't have a single bearing left that I could use as a model for the new ones.
    What would you recommend me to do?

Re: Repairing ballnut

Hi....buy a new ball nut.

If you buy some balls that you think are the right size, you either get a nut with backlash or one that is too tight.

Buying more balls slightly bigger or smaller is much of the same but more random and the screw might be slightly worn in the centre.
    Ian.

Thanks! I see your point.

I assume separately bought ball nuts come with bearings, right? What kind of procedure it is to install a new nut to the screw?

Hi....the separately bought ball nut comes complete with balls in it and a plastic tube to keep the balls from falling out of the nut before assembly.......DO NOT REMOVE THE PLASTIC TUBE........the method of mounting the nut to the screw is to thread the nut onto the end of the screw with the tube in the nut and let the screw push the plastic tube out.....this will ensure that as the nut is screwed onto the screw the balls will fit into the grooves on the screw and not fall ,out.
    Ian.

Okay,it does not sound difficult but let's see how it goes.

Thank you very much for the help! I really appreciate you spent some time to help me out.

Hi....no problem, I've never done a re-nut operation but have some new nuts that I want to experiment with to make DIY double ball nuts for anti backlash feature.....just be careful not to let the plastic tube fall out as you screw the nut on.......and if you have to remove the nut again use the tube to keep the balls in place inside it.
    Ian.