585,932 active members*
3,856 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Finally!

Red face Finally!

Became a PCNC1100 owner yesterday!

after a a couple of years of researching, planning, and saving, I'm finally a Tormach owner. only days before I was to send a very large check to Tormach, up pops a widow selling her spouses entire machine shop - which included a 2009 era Series II with loads of tooling. Made her an offer, she took it.
    Had to drive 450 miles to get it and then discovered it was in a shop built inside a custom home.. had to disassemble and take it out through 30" doors and over thresholds.. what a chore.
    Found a treasure though... upgraded with power drawbar and electronic sensing... really nice vice.....then found a complete 4th axis hidden in the base's storage locker. sweet.
    Still running Mach III but has the Pathpilot upgrade kit included...

Now the fun begins... cleaning and reassembly

Re: Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPlaneDoc View Post
    Became a PCNC1100 owner yesterday!

after a a couple of years of researching, planning, and saving, I'm finally a Tormach owner. only days before I was to send a very large check to Tormach, up pops a widow selling her spouses entire machine shop - which included a 2009 era Series II with loads of tooling. Made her an offer, she took it.
    Had to drive 450 miles to get it and then discovered it was in a shop built inside a custom home.. had to disassemble and take it out through 30" doors and over thresholds.. what a chore.
    Found a treasure though... upgraded with power drawbar and electronic sensing... really nice vice.....then found a complete 4th axis hidden in the base's storage locker. sweet.
    Still running Mach III but has the Pathpilot upgrade kit included...

Now the fun begins... cleaning and reassembly
    I've got one of those 2009 Series IIs. If it doesn't have it, get the motion upgrade kit. Tormach practically gives it away. You can probably sell the drivers and motors for what you paid (you do have to return the control board), or keep 'em as spares/4th axis/whatever. Get Pathpilot going; M3 eventually became unstable on my machine. PP is not.

The guy who gets my shop will have an easier time: 60" access all the way, all concrete floors, no thresholds/steps, and ground level access to the shop. Of course, there's the small matter of a 35 degree hill to climb, but it's not a big hill. Getting stuff down was no big deal. And up ain't gonna be my problem.

You got a great deal. Enjoy.

Welcome to the club!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    I've got one of those 2009 Series IIs. If it doesn't have it, get the motion upgrade kit. Tormach practically gives it away. You can probably sell the drivers and motors for what you paid (you do have to return the control board), or keep 'em as spares/4th axis/whatever. Get Pathpilot going; M3 eventually became unstable on my machine. PP is not.

The guy who gets my shop will have an easier time: 60" access all the way, all concrete floors, no thresholds/steps, and ground level access to the shop. Of course, there's the small matter of a 35 degree hill to climb, but it's not a big hill. Getting stuff down was no big deal. And up ain't gonna be my problem.

You got a great deal. Enjoy.
    Motion upgrade was already planned as was PathPilot as soon as I learn more about Linux.... I want to make my own toolchanger (I design automated machines for a living) but I need to know how Pathpilot interfaces with it...

i've got a a pretty easy shot into it's new location except it's already jammed with stuff.. got a huge tetris game going on now .... lathe, drills, sanders, CNC router.... argh..
    I'll only be here a max of 4 more years, then into a new big shop already being built

Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Welcome to the club!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanks! along with having the machine, getting the garage finally cleaned out is great....

Very nice. Sounds like a real find. Did you get a good deal on it?

Take some pictures. Would love to see the progress

yes. very good deal.

got the machine on the stand yesterday, running some 220V to it next

Quote Originally Posted by BIG IGG View Post
    Take some pictures. Would love to see the progress
    Got power to is last night.. pics coming eventually. Air is next

Got the computer installed last night, fired it up and everything seems to be working except for the Y axis limit switch. Discovered the switch housing was bent so bad that the switch would not contact the stop. Had to remove the housing, clean a lot of crud off, break some welds and bend things back into position. Will weld it back together today.
    Removed the front guard and a few other parts so I could get into the nooks and crannies to clean. this thing has coolant spoogie and steel micro chips everywhere! It like billions of little steel slivers all trying to stab me.... many are successful

Well, its been a few weeks now and time for an update. Got everything working and now am familiar with PathPilot enough to be comfortable. Made some parts, not perfect dimension-wise but so far I'm optimistic.
    Went through the gib adjustment yesterday. 6 years of inattention from the previous owner was obvious - both X and Y gibs were coated with gunk and corrosion, took a while to get them freed up so adjustments were effective. Was able to get the X axis from 0042 to .0010 backlash (perhaps just a tiny bit less) and the Y from .0036 to about about .0016 - .0018 Still need to check the screw bearings.

https://youtu.be/kAkBV95h_Og

Attachment 333298