585,906 active members*
3,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > "Upgrade" for Early Torus Pro Owners

"Upgrade" for Early Torus Pro Owners

I have a fairly early Torus Pro. I started with the "standard" base, but later swapped that out for a preproduction "Deluxe" base. This base is a big improvement over the standard one in terms of coolant drainage and chip collection, but is missing several improvements that are in the production version (some as a result of my feedback). While coolant drainage is good, chip collection is not as good as it could be, an cleaning the machine is still a nuisance, as chips get clogged up getting under the machine to the "chute" into the chip tray.

I recently made a minor modification that simply keeps all the chips up on top, where they are easier to remove. I have several large sheets of aluminum "diamond plate" a fried had given me, so I cut a few pieces to prevent the chips from going under the machine. A similar modification, using whatever material is handy, should work just as well for folks with the "standard" base to make cleanup easier.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Re: "Upgrade" for Early Torus Pro Owners

I like it. I was just cleaning mine out the other day and since I'm not running flood coolant, most had stayed on top. I found it very easy to scoop them out with a dust pan. The drawers don't slide easily so I haven't been in any hurry to use them.
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Speaking of chip management with flood cooling... I got tired of digging chips out of the t slots in the table. They would pack in so dense, I had to dig them out with a screw driver. Solution... I went to a company that makes magnetic signs like you see on cars. Had them make a sheet with vinyl on both sides. Then cut to fit around vise etc. Works great. Chips and coolant just flow off the top of the table. Easy on easy off

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Speaking of chip management with flood cooling... I got tired of digging chips out of the t slots in the table. They would pack in so dense, I had to dig them out with a screw driver. Solution... I went to a company that makes magnetic signs like you see on cars. Had them make a sheet with vinyl on both sides. Then cut to fit around vise etc. Works great. Chips and coolant just flow off the top of the table. Easy on easy off
    Things like this are why I really like cnc zone. This is a simple solution to a very annoying issue. I too was getting tired of trying to get the chips out of the t slots. My normal method was to blast them out with the coolant cleanup hose. The problem was that it was something I would usually do at the end of the day because I was covered in coolant by the end. I was going to bend up some metal to go over the table.

Glad Ray made the suggestions for the deluxe stand. It is fantastic for clearing the chips from the table. Its 100% impossible for the chips to block the drain because it is huge. A little blast from the coolant wash down hose and everything just slides down the drains. The only place where chips collect and are an issue is on top of the accordion like way covers. I keep thinking they will jam up some day. I have not done any heavy production so this has not happened.

Tom