585,875 active members*
4,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KmotionCNC and power outage

Hello.
    I'm using KFlop + KMotionCNC for wood engraving.
    The issue is that when there is a power outage and KMotionCNC receives a fault signal and stops I need to resume it after recalibrating zero points again.
    If I try to start a program from a particular line it will start but for sure it won't turn the spindle on, won't set feed speed, etc..
    What is the proper way to continuing machinery from the middle of the G-code file in KMotionCNC?
    My another machine uses NCStudio and there is no any single problem starting from the middle of the file. It will turn on the spindle and continue machining as it should without any intervention from my side whatsoever.

Re: KmotionCNC and power outage

Hi melco,

What Version of KMotion are you running?

Are you right-mouse-clicking on the GCode Line you want to start and selecting "Set Next Instruction"?

When Cycle Starting do you receive this dialog box?

Attachment 332780

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi
    Yes. When you work in absolute coordinates that would work. What about relative movements? What about feed rate? Commands to turn on accessories like coolant pump?

Hi melco,

Could you explain what you are expecting? I did some searching and NCStudio looks like a nice program. From what I can tell they have a "Advanced Start" where you basically specify a line number and it simulates the whole file up to that point and then starts running. Is that what you are doing? That would be easy to add but I thought the he problem would be that all the actions like tool changes, tool probes, operator prompts couldn't be easily skipped with meaningful results. Do you think that would work for you?

Regards
    TK

Not sure if it all possible but imagine you G code has a command to change the machining feed rate in certain area and when you do the advanced start (start from a certain line of code) you'd want to backward search the whole file and take into account all the uniq commands which are not movement. Do you see what I mean? I'll think more about it and you might have some ideas as well.

Hi melco,

That is basically what it currently tries to do. It reverse scans the code to find the last specified X, Y, Z, A, B, C, FeedRate, Units, and G0/G1/G2/G3 Motion Command. Of course this is imperfect and there are a number of cases where this doesn't always work, ie Variables, Fixture/Tool Offset changes, subroutines, etc... But with simple GCode and with the Operator setting the right Tool, Fixture, etc... it can be useful

btw there is a known bug in V4.33 where starting execution on a set of tiny G1 vectors. This is fairly rare for a real Job to start in that manner but when starting in the middle of a complex job with small vectors is more common. There is a patch for V4.33 here:
    Index of /Software/Patch/FixBugTPComplexBegMotionSetNextInstrV433

Regards
    TK