585,557 active members*
3,374 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Best Method: Routing "3D" Variable Depth Slots and Nesting 3D Toolpaths

Best Method: Routing "3D" Variable Depth Slots and Nesting 3D Toolpaths

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to programming CNC Routers, and I'm hoping to find some advice that will save a lot of time and frustration.

Where I'm at right now:
    • Mechanical Engineering background
    • Fluent at designing parts in Autodesk Inventor
    • Some experience with CNC Lasers and Waterjets, but those were fairly simple with 2D DXF files
    • We are soon buying a CNC Router w/ ATC and an additional Oscillating Knife Attachment
    • We will need to buy CAM software as well (I have been leaning towards Vectric Aspire, which is why I'm posting this here)

- I'm all ears if you have experience with or know of any other CAM software better capable of accomplishing the desired tasks outlined below

What we are trying to do:

We are cutting identical (but mirrored - top and bottom half) insulation pieces from 4' x 8' sheets of insulation material.
    Every time we run a program file, we will utilize the whole 4' x 8' sheet to maximize our yield of the product (anywhere from 40 to 140 pieces depending on the variation of the product).
    We have 28 variations of the product, meaning 28 different program files. With so many program files and so many nested pieces per program file, I'm hoping to find the most efficient way to set this up.

Product Example:

The insulation material is very lightweight and easy to cut. We can plunge the full depth and cut with no issues.

Top View:

Half-Section Front View:

Zoomed in Left View showing rounded profile:

Tool Example:

We have many different sizes of these Ball-Nosed Carbide Bur Bits. They cut the insulation material extremely well.

Ideal Machining Process:

Ideally we would first cut out half the "pockets" with Tool1, then cut out the remaining "pockets" with Tool2, followed by using the oscillating knife to cut the profile of all the pieces.
    This would be extremely easy if all our "pockets" were just straight line slots. However, as you can see from the pictures, the slots have varying depths in the Z-Axis.
    You will also be able to see reason for using two different tools on the spindle.

Visual diagram of the "ideal" process:

Implementation Questions:

• In the CAM Software, what is the quickest and easiest way to program the cutout of the Variable Depth Slots?
    • In the CAM Software, what is the best method to nest/pattern the Variable Depth Slots (only using each tool one time)?
    • Is Vectric Aspire an appropriate CAM Software to do this? Or is there a better alternative?

I greatly appreciate any help or direction.

Thanks much,

- Nick

Re: Best Method: Routing "3D" Variable Depth Slots and Nesting 3D Toolpaths

It doesn't look like I can change the title, but can one of the moderators add a "Need Help" flag?

Thanks!

Re: Best Method: Routing "3D" Variable Depth Slots and Nesting 3D Toolpaths

Mods, can you please delete this thread?

I'm somehow not able to edit either of my posts.