585,762 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DM2400 Spindle Motor

My spindle motor seems a little tired. Obviously it probably never had a great amount of power but has anyone altered or changed their motor? Is there a work around? 10000 rpm is absolutely plenty for me. Even 5000rpm would be fine.
    It just labours when taking a decent cut. I don't expect the world but does anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: DM2400 Spindle Motor

I have wondered the same thing. It is probably more likely we run too big of tooling. The machine itself is pretty rigid. It would be pretty easy to find a motor to mount on top. I am not sure about within the original spindle. Maybe a small servo motor?
    A lazy man does it twice.

My machine has a motor with two Vee locations so the Lord only knows what tooling you would use if there were 3 positions giving 20,000 rpm (a very very tiny engraver).
    I'm probably leaning towards reducing the rpms further with another setup of pulleys. Like you say, the machine is certainly rigid enough but I can break 3 mm endmills with alarming regularity! One false move and ....
    I prefer 6mm (well bigger if the truth be known) but then the power drop off. Slow feed rates = rubbing. Don't care for coolant much. Oh well! Can't have everything. Maybe just be thankful I have a great little CNC mill and put up with it.

This is old, but there were a couple of motors. One of which was an Electrocraft E661 DC brush servo motor with no encoder. They of course had a special mount, but I would imagine one could try and swap the mounts. The other motor was made by Jones (motak).

This is old, but there were a couple of motors. One of which was an Electrocraft E661 DC brush servo motor with no encoder. They of course had a special mount, but I would imagine one could try and swap the mounts. The other motor was made by Jones (motak).

Hi there Marty
    There is no such thing as an old thread in my book
    I'll look into the motor you have mentioned as I do indeed have the Jones motor.
    Thanks Very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Go65 View Post
    Hi there Marty
    There is no such thing as an old thread in my book
    I'll look into the motor you have mentioned as I do indeed have the Jones motor.
    Thanks Very much.

Maybe you can machine a mount for the E661. You can usually find them on ebay pretty cheaply. They are rated at 90V but the Dyna only drives them around 70V
    Marty

I changed the motor on my machine after motor died with a micromax motor and vfd drive. I made new pulleys and can get 5,000 rpm and control the speed via mach3 or manually. If you need any info let me know. The machine runs through a gecko 540 and was soothstepper. It took a lot of working out as the steppers are wired differently in Europe.