584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0704 oiling system

I am in the process of making my G0704 a CNC machine. I want to setup an oiling system for the ways and ball nuts. I have looked on this forum but haven't found exactly what I am looking for. I need some kind of layout to see where to plumb the oil lines. I think for what I have seen on the internet, I know how to do the X and Y, but dont see how to get oil to the ball nut on the Z. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: G0704 oiling system

Your Z ballnut probably has a zerk fitting on it, to which you would run a lubrication line within your column. Where exactly do you think the problem lies with your Z axis? Can you give us some photos for context of explain your issue with a bit more detail?

Does anyone have some pictures showing how they routed the oil line for the Z-axis? I do have a zerk fitting on my ball nut, but how do I get the oil line inside the column without it being pinched when the Z-axis is moving up and down?

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Does anyone have some pictures showing how they routed the oil line for the Z-axis? I do have a zerk fitting on my ball nut, but how do I get the oil line inside the column without it being pinched when the Z-axis is moving up and down?
    Bring the lubrication tube out thru the head and route it with the spindle motor wires.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Bring the lubrication tube out thru the head and route it with the spindle motor wires.
    Do you mean through the center hole (the original fastener hole)? Wouldn't the oil line be cut off when the head is at its highest (with the flipped head mod)? Currently, I'm using that hole for a fastener bolt, but I guess I can manage without it.

Does anyone know where to get more Ballscrew zerk fittings? Mine have been misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by DubMFG View Post
    Does anyone know where to get more Ballscrew zerk fittings? Mine have been misplaced.
    Have you checked a hardware store or farm supply. The ones near me have grease nipples in various thread sizes as well as pressed in version.

You can also find kits of fittings on eBay for a few dollars.