584,817 active members*
4,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HELP!!
Page 1 of 3 123

Lightbulb So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HELP!!

as the title says- i've managed to experience 3 exploding drives and have 1 more left

im planning on sending the drives (and most likely my motors and cable sets) back to DMM so they can try to figure out what is going on
    low on cash so i havent sent them back yet - probably going to be close to 100 bucks to ship back to them

but anyways i'll lay my saga out here hopefully someone can spot something wrong and/or help me figure what my problem is :wave:

here are some pictures of my test stand :

Attachment 333962
    Attachment 333964

I first put power to the drives with 110V to logic side and 110V to power side
    accessed all drives thru DMMDRV.exe and was able to test jog all motors and drives (motors made it to about 3000 rpm before faulting) - wonderful

after shutting down i put 220 Volts to the drives, powered up, and again was able to jog motors - past 5000 rpm -- awesome!!!

after powering down then back up some time later that day one of the drives stopped working and showed "Lost Phase" error
    ---- then shot blue flame and smoke out and was toast!!!

DMM advised me to send the drive back for evaluation but i didnt want to wait for the back and forth so i ordered another drive

after this episode i went back to 110 Volts on power side of drives
    powered up the drives - jogged all motors in DMMDRV.exe - great!!! hooked cat5 cables to my breakout board and jogged with mach3 - awesome!!!
    powered down then later that day powered back up

another exploding drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in desperation to get my mill running i tried yet again to run the last two drives i had
    ran 220volts to them got them spinning with DMMDRV.exe
    got them connected to my mill and jogged them with mach3
    powered down and back up again later and another drive exploded!!!!!!

at this point im about having a nervous breakdown haha
    and like i said i ve been in contact with DMM and also CNC4PC about it and am waiting to hear more and send my drives and motors back
    but i figured someone on here would maybe be able to help or point out something ive done wrong

the pictures should be self explanatory as i labled the components in the pictures
    but if there are any questions please ask

system in mill:

Ethernet SmoothSStepper
    CNC4PC C32 breakout Board
    Huanyang VFD for spindle motor (this is fed the same 220 volts as the DMM Drives
    DG2S 8020 D servo drives with 80v20a toroid psu
    various CNC4PC pieces to tie the DG2S drives to the C32

system on test cart:

Attachment 333966
    DYN4 drives
    DMM 86M-DHT-A6MK1
    square D 30 amp fused disconnect feeding 240Volts AC single phase
    fed into LG magnetic contactor - operated with 24 volts dc
    fed thru 110vac to 24 volts ac transformer
    fed thru old square D Start/Stop switch

power bar feeding drives logic power thru
    1 - 3 amp fuse and 3 corcom EMI filters

so i guess im looking for some feedback
    hopefully mactec will chime in

Attachment 333980

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boardzpowerz12-30-2012 005.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	333982

Re: So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HE

HUM, 110volts to teh LOGIC side ?? Most run 12-24vdc to teh logic side of a drive.

(;-) TP

Post Re: So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HE

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    HUM, 110volts to teh LOGIC side ?? Most run 12-24vdc to teh logic side of a drive.

(;-) TP
    Attachment 333974

Name:	DMMpage20.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	333976

Name:	DMMpage21.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	333978

Re: So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HE

Did you read this part ??
    • For Single Phase input, connect the power supply to the R and S terminals of the Main Circuit Power Supply T4.
    WARNING !

You used RT not RS

Where did you get teh 220v from

Where did you get teh 110v from ??

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Did you read this part ??
    • For Single Phase input, connect the power supply to the R and S terminals of the Main Circuit Power Supply T4.
    WARNING !

You used RT not RS .

Just a thought, (;-) TP
    according to DMM on the phone R/S/T are interchangeable

YOU may want to think about deriving teh logic power from the incoming 240 single phase similar to how they show it in the manual. Rather than a seperate 120v feed.

(;-) TP

Lightbulb Re: So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HE

YOU may want to think about deriving teh logic power from the incoming 240 single phase similar to how they show it in the manual. Rather than a seperate 120v feed.

(;-) TP
    ok i hadn't thought of this

could you explain in technical terms why???

Quote Originally Posted by GM1G View Post
    ok i hadn't thought of this
    I can't see where you have your supply power coming from but it does not look correct, the 240v supply you are not showing to have a Ground, wire with the R & S Plus Ground, this same supply should be going to the L1 and L2 through 2 fuses and the power filter

You should not be using 2 separate supplies from different sources, so if you have 240v coming in to your cabinet, and you want 120v you need to add a neutral wire with that 240v supply, so your input power to your cabinet should have 4 wires, 2 Hot a neutral and a Ground wire
    Mactec54

(;-) TP
    They have a transformer built inside the drive, it can take either 120v or upto 240v supply this makes for easier wiring
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I can't see where you have your supply power coming from but it does not look correct, the 240v supply you are not showing to have a Ground, wire with the R & S Plus Ground, this same supply should be going to the L1 and L2 through 2 fuses and the power filter

You should not be using 2 separate supplies from different sources, so if you have 240v coming in to your cabinet, and you want 120v you need to add a neutral wire with that 240v supply, so your input power to your cabinet should have 4 wires, 2 Hot a neutral and a Ground wire

mactec thanks for showing up

can you explain why the 2 sources is not a good idea?
    im just trying to wrap my head around what a boneheaded move i really made haha

also i cant figure out why it would work for a little while then explode - does it make any sense?

thanks again for your help

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

also ---

the second drive i blew up --- i had 110volts off my power bar and was also feeding the power side 110volts from the power bar

so im trying to figure out if this was really the cause of the drive explosions

also ---

the second drive i blew up --- i had 110volts off my power bar and was also feeding the power side 110volts from the power bar

so im trying to figure out if this was really the cause of the drive explosions
    The first question is do you have a ( MCCB ) Breaker or fuses for the main Drive supply 120v or the 240 volt supply, for the Drives, you then you need a fuse for L1 and L2 if using 240v only ( 1 ) fuse if using 120v, if there was a fault somewhere then the fuse would blow, and not the Drive

You have everything mount on a none metallic back plane, or is that painted metal plate, this is not a good idea, if it is none metallic, if the drives where mounted on a metal back plane, like aluminum, then that would of been Grounded to your main Ground

You have to show some photos of the main power supply coming into your cabinet, and where it goes from that point

Your wiring just does not look correct
    Mactec54

So theoretically if just bench testing using single phase 220 you should be able to jump R & S to L1 & L2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOT knowing anything about how you are supply incoming power and HOW you have that part wired UPSTREAM it is simply a guess BUT from what you described it SOUNDS like you are miswired qnd you ended up with a MUCH higher voltage than you think it is. The failure mode is indicating a failed Capacitor in the drive and in the manor you described it is an over voltage problem. As a cap charges teh voltage level most times RISES and if you are already above rated voltage levels teh CAP will exceed it insulation value and you get a bright flash and a BOOM to go with it.

IF it were a dead short chances are good it would have went up immediatly after you applied power.

Just a guess, (;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by LGSM3 View Post
    So theoretically if just bench testing using single phase 220 you should be able to jump R & S to L1 & L2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No R and S you have a 20amp to 30amp supply L1 and L2 you have a 1 amp supply, protected by the Fuses, it can of cause come from the same supply, but must have the 1A Fuse protection for each wire if you are using 240v single Phase supply
    Mactec54

i just wanted to reiterate that these drives all worked and jogged their motors before blowing up,
    after powering down and back up later in the day

i just wanted to reiterate that these drives all worked and jogged their motors before blowing up,
    after powering down and back up later in the day
    Yes that tells you, the Drives where Ok, until they got zapped, You have not posted your input power supply, I think this is where all your problems started from

The Power Filters are they able to take 2 Hot wires, or one Hot and neutral, you may want to check this with the manufacture, that they can take 2 Hot/live wires
    Mactec54

The drive blew up and not the fuse telling me that this is probably overvoltage and not overcurrent problem.
    When you connected the 220V are you sure you connected one Phase and one Neutral wires and not 2 phases?
    2x 220V phases would create a 340Volts DC bus voltage inside which i think is too much for this drive and then that it blew up after some time is not a surprise.

When you connected the 220V are you sure you connected one Phase and one Neutral wires and not 2 phases?
    2x 220V phases would create a 340Volts DC bus voltage inside which i think is too much for this drive and then that it blew up after some time is not a surprise.
    That's not how it works in the US.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It will depend on HOW and where he got his power. That is the part we do not know. Where did teh 240V come from ?? a single phase 240v center tap service or did he tap off of a 240v 3phase 2 can delta service with a high leg ???

A volt meter can be your very best friend at times like this (;-).

(;-) TP

Page 1 of 3 123