584,817 active members*
4,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma MX-45VAE ATC arm throwing tools

Okuma MX-45VAE ATC arm throwing tools

On Friday, our Okuma ATC all of a sudden started chucking tools during the tool change. It seems to be the tool coming out of the spindle that is being thrown. We replaced the arm about a year and a half ago and had everything nicely aligned when we installed the new arm. It has been working just fine since then... until Friday. The first tool it threw was a drill chuck and then it was my $200 finishing endmill. After that, it didn't throw any tools while we were testing it, but we were testing it with smaller empty tool holders. I don't think the root cause is tool size/weight, but I did read that you can slow the tool change down, so I'd like to give this a try for now until I can properly sort it out. The only thing I found in the manual related to that is a machine system parameter called "torque limiter [%]". If I change this, will the arm slow down? Anyone have any experience with this parameter, or have any other suggestions?

We did single-step through a tool change and the arm seems to be gripping the tools very tightly.

Re: Okuma MX-45VAE ATC arm throwing tools

check swing arm alignments with spindle and pot/atc ; if is ok, than your mechanism loses power somewhere
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Check the fingers on the arrn that are supposed to retain the tool. they tend to get gummed up and /or corroded over time. A good cleaning and re-greasing will usually cure the problem.

Torque limiter will not slow the arm.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Hy mr Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    Check the fingers on the arrn that are supposed to retain the tool. they tend to get gummed up and /or corroded over time. A good cleaning and re-greasing will usually cure the problem
    as he said mechanical organs may get fatigue, leading to plastic deformation, invisible to the eye, especially on shapes and functions as the swing arm

normally, it should not if used properly, but maybe is crafted out of less tough material

A good cleaning and re-greasing will usually cure the problem
    if this works for jjjearl, than "no comment"

Torque limiter will not slow the arm
    it just sudden breaks when colision/high efort is detected / there is no effort when tool flies think of being smart enough to don't carry heavy weights, and just drop one if somehow you are suposed to carry it, so not to reach your limit ( this is tool fly ) ; if you are supposed to carry on, than you will stop at some moment ( this is torque limiter )

carry up a beatiful girl until you really can not continue = torque limiter
    carry up a beatiful girl until you see another one = tool fly

Quote Originally Posted by jjjearls View Post
    The first tool it threw was a drill chuck and then it was my $200 finishing endmill.
    $200 ? raise your stake thus, this value shows your profesional level cnc's, if used properly, have the ability to change values, because of fast metal removing

I suspected, based on the values in the torque limiter table, that this would not slow it down.

The arm alignment was the only thing I thought I should definitely check. Based on our experience replacing the arm, we know how to stop it mid-cycle and get it going again. I will check the fingers, but at first glance they appear okay. I would suspect an alignment issue, because it seems as though, if the tool is properly in the arm, it's not coming out. So that would mean, when it's thrown, it's likely not seat properly in the arm.

Thanks guys.

I suspected, based on the values in the torque limiter table, that this would not slow it down.

The arm alignment was the only thing I thought I should definitely check. Based on our experience replacing the arm, we know how to stop it mid-cycle and get it going again. I will check the fingers, but at first glance they appear okay. I would suspect an alignment issue, because it seems as though, if the tool is properly in the arm, it's not coming out. So that would mean, when it's thrown, it's likely not seat properly in the arm.

Thanks guys.
    On the arm, there is a pin that gets depressed when the arm is in the UP position.
    - this pin (when depressed) allows the moveable finger to move and release the tool

dis-assembly of the pin & finger is required to remove the gunk that stops the finger from locking in the closed position ( usually it is in the spring area behind the finger )

Hey kitty..... what's a mechanical organ ? ..... is it one of those pre-electric organs ?

Hey kitty..... what's a mechanical organ ?
    if i may : your head just kidding ...

hey okumawiz ive been tryting to reach out but it says your inbox is full is there anyways you can PM me when u get time thanks

The only thing I found in the manual related to that is a machine system parameter called "torque limiter [%]".
    I had a question about the torque limiter% in the parameters but didn't find anything in the manual. My toolchanger (on MX-55VB) kept alarming on over torque and I upped the allowed percentages a bit and it is working better now but I don't want to have them to high either.

Could someone post the specs for these parameters? We got our machine used and I wonder if its had these parameters changed sometime???

Here is what I had.

Attachment 334304

Thanks!
    Carl

Hey MO Metal,

Here is what was in my machine.

Attachment 364722

jjjearls

Thanks, I'll check how near it jives with what I had/have now.