585,922 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Collets for 1720XMTC

I have a ShopTask 1720XMTC that was originally purchased in the mid-1990s. As far as I know, it was the basic unit with the various gears and parts that were part of the package.

Other than using the lathe to spin and polish, it is virgin -- never even had the tool post or tailstock mounted or the mill spun up. Beautiful (but dusty) white machine.

I am planning on going over it and finally putting it to work, but I am confused about something.

I believe it has the standard MT3 lathe spindle in it and not the optional R8.

What type of collet system fits this machine and what, if any, adapter or mounting plates are needed that may not have come with the basic machine?

I see that there are many different collet systems out there, but I have no idea what would best work on my machine or what advantages one may have over another on this old XMTC.

Re: Collets for 1720XMTC

Quote Originally Posted by stanger1953 View Post
    I have a ShopTask 1720XMTC that was originally purchased in the mid-1990s. As far as I know, it was the basic unit with the various gears and parts that were part of the package.

Other than using the lathe to spin and polish, it is virgin -- never even had the tool post or tailstock mounted or the mill spun up. Beautiful (but dusty) white machine.

I am planning on going over it and finally putting it to work, but I am confused about something.

I believe it has the standard MT3 lathe spindle in it and not the optional R8.

What type of collet system fits this machine and what, if any, adapter or mounting plates are needed that may not have come with the basic machine?

I see that there are many different collet systems out there, but I have no idea what would best work on my machine or what advantages one may have over another on this old XMTC.
    Stanger,
    The white machines had a Morse #4 taper in the lathe spindle and a Morse #3 in the tailstock. They also had a Morse # 3 in the mill spindle. They came with 2 drawbars, one for the lathe spindle and one for the mill with 3/8-16 threads. For an all purpose collet set, I would search E-Bay for a set of Morse #3 collets and a Morse #4 to Morse #3 reducer bushing. Then you would have a set capable of use in both lathe and mill. Most Morse collets have the 3/8-16 threads, but ask first, as there are some metric ones out there. Another alternative is to look for an ER-40 collet chuck and collet set with the Morse #3 taper on the chuck, then your chuck remains in the spindle and you simply change out the ER 40 collets of different sizes. It's a faster method, but a bit more pricey.

Re: Collets for 1720XMTC

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBLOCK1965 View Post
    Stanger,
    The white machines had a Morse #4 taper in the lathe spindle and a Morse #3 in the tailstock. They also had a Morse # 3 in the mill spindle. They came with 2 drawbars, one for the lathe spindle and one for the mill with 3/8-16 threads. For an all purpose collet set, I would search E-Bay for a set of Morse #3 collets and a Morse #4 to Morse #3 reducer bushing. Then you would have a set capable of use in both lathe and mill. Most Morse collets have the 3/8-16 threads, but ask first, as there are some metric ones out there. Another alternative is to look for an ER-40 collet chuck and collet set with the Morse #3 taper on the chuck, then your chuck remains in the spindle and you simply change out the ER 40 collets of different sizes. It's a faster method, but a bit more pricey.
    I would go with the ER 40 sets- they are faster and a lot less hassle than always loosening and tightening the drawbar to change out MT 3 collets.
    Here is a link to a set on E-bay
    15 PC ER40 Spring Collet Set Collets MT3 Chuck New | eBay