585,585 active members*
3,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Creating tabs on a solid part

Creating tabs on a solid part

Hello All,

I've attached a file of a part I am cutting soon. I would like to somehow create either tabs or a containment that would keep the part from falling out till I was done machining the main body. I've been searching but can't seem to figure out how this can be done any help or advice on how you would approach this would be greatly appreciated.

I am somewhat new to machining solids so I don't even know if this would be the right toolpath to use on this type of part.

Thank You,

Dale

Re: Creating tabs on a solid part

There was no file that I could find in your ZIP file.

In short, I would model the "tabs" in. Use a cylinder or cube (create them on a new layer) and select them as part of your geometry. If you can re-upload your file I can try to show you what I mean.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2017 Multiaxis for SolidWorks - Bobcad V29 3ax Pro 4ax Std.

I attached the file it should show up in the post somewhere. I'll attach it to this post as well and see if it goes through.

What version of Mastercam are you using?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Mastercam 2017

DK so you know your zipped file extratcs as empty. please upload again so I can review and make some modes for you.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

OK let's try this again, I guess I forgot to click a half dozen boxes. This should work as the zip file went from 22 KB to 991 KB.

This file has my solution to the problem, but I don't know if it is the right solution. I created a containment box around the area I wanted to machine out but it still doesn't clear out the material that nicely it the roughing passes.

DK the actual cad file was not added to your Zip to go file. are you a school instructor?just zip the Facilities Skeleton Key 2 file it self.
    Cadcam

Attached is the solidworks file I made I've never used "pack and go" to zip a file so I hope it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files