584,833 active members*
5,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tormach 5" vise BAD bearing

anyone else have an issue with the tormach 5" machinist vise? the bearing in mine seems to have gone bad, very rough when i turn it, ive tried wd 40 and usually do a good job at keeping coolant in my coolant system.

anyone know where to get replacement bearings for it?

thank guys

Re: tormach 5" vise BAD bearing

Surely it is a standard, off-the-shelf ball bearing? Take it out, measure it, and go to McMaster.com, VXB.com, or any local bearing supplier, and buy a replacement.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ask Tormach. I asked about a switch recently and they sent me the listing for both Mouser and Digikey. Probably could get one from them, too, but likely the commercial guys are cheaper, faster, and identical.

What kind of coolant are you using? Some coolants don't have rust inhibitors in them and that could happen.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Are you sure it's the bearing?
    I had trouble with my vise too. It was turning really hard and stiff. Grinding and binding.
    As it turns out, the front retaining ring had come loose, and actually 'tightened' itself into the vise body.
    The 2 set screws that hold it in place were loose.
    I unscrewed the ring about 1/4 turn, and re-set the 2 set screws, TIGHTLY!.
    You might want to check the retaining ring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TORM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	334638

Hi - I had trouble too so I turned up a good old fashioned bronze replacement - no problems since then.

Keen

This might a little off the thrust of the thread, but for the 5" Tormach/Magnum "Mini Mag" vise a rebuild kit including the needle thrust bearing is available from Conquest Industries . At least it was several years ago when I refurbished mine...

Randy

hey guy. thanks all for replies, but i finally took mine apart and there is no bearing, its just a washer.... it had some serious wear, maybe bad coolant to water ratio at some point, anyway i swapped the washer that goes on the outer side of the vise with the inner one and works like new now. funny how something so simple could cause such grief.... lol

mine is the machinist vise not the cnc vise.

again thanks all for the info.

Carlos

Carlos, I'd suggest looking at the vise again. There is supposed to be a needle bearing on the inner face of the frame. It does sit between two hardened washers, but they are not the same as the washer on the outside of the frame.

http://www.conquestind.com/pdf/5-Inc...rts%20List.pdf has a cross-sectional drawing of the vise calling out the part numbers.

My vise was likewise severely corroded from coolant accumulation after several years of use. The rebuid kit included the needle bearing, wiper seal, etc. and was well worth the cost.

Randy

are you talking about the machinist vise or the cnc vise?

i screwed the jaw all the way out(open position) and with the wire snap ring removed i could then push the jaw foward and it went with the rod exposing the whole area where said bearing should be. only thing there was the casting. the washer was stuck on the rod.

i dont doubt you, i just didnt see anything there besides the machined casting. i will take it apart again and reinspect.

all i did was put the exterior washer on the inside and the inside washer on the exterior and it feels like its working like new again.

thanks for the info, thats exactly what i was looking for, a new bearing kit. how did u get the bearing out of there? where does it show the cost?

thanks for thew info

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    Carlos, I'd suggest looking at the vise again. There is supposed to be a needle bearing on the inner face of the frame. It does sit between two hardened washers, but they are not the same as the washer on the outside of the frame.

http://www.conquestind.com/pdf/5-Inc...rts%20List.pdf has a cross-sectional drawing of the vise calling out the part numbers.

My vise was likewise severely corroded from coolant accumulation after several years of use. The rebuid kit included the needle bearing, wiper seal, etc. and was well worth the cost.

Randy
    thank you Randy for taking the time to educate me, YOU ARE 100% CORRECT.

i found the needle bearing, it was so coroded it looked like part of the casting. the inner hardened washer actually broke when i removed it into 3 pieces, if i can figure out how to load pics i will in a minute.

i spoke to the people from your link and i got 2 sets headed my way.

again, thank you!

Carlos

here they are, horrible.... lol

Name:	image1.jpg 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	337746

Name:	image2.jpg 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	337748

Carlos, I'm glad you got it sorted out. Mine was about that bad too. I lubed the new bearing with nice Phil Wood high-end waterproof bicycle grease.

Randy