585,759 active members*
3,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Older Haas DIY cheap Probe - Guide with pics and video
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mejasont View Post
    Hi Everyone, i hope you can point me in the right direction.
    I have a Haas Mini Mill Built 2002 with a CHC control and software version 11.17
    im having trouble finding the SKIP input on the diagnostic screen, my display lists the discrete inputs slightly different to that shown above.
    i can see the Invert skip option but not the actual input itself. i dont know if it will work without actually showing the input or not, bit scary pretending to probe something on the off chance its not there.

any help would be greatfuly accepted

On mine I can command G31 then touch the probe to test. Just touch the probe and you will hear a beep if it’s working

Re: Older Haas DIY cheap Probe - Guide with pics and video

Hi Metalcutter

thanks for your reply, i got sorted in the end.
    I was new to the controller and didnt quite grasp the layout of the screens.
    i found out that the parameters screen ? (not currently stood in front of it) button presented 2 different screen options.
    so i missed the scrren showing the inputs, foolishly i was on the settings page bleeting about not being able to see the skip signal.

As the skip signal requires a shorted connection between pins 1 & 2 effectivly pulling pin 1 low to gnd, i had to build an electronics cct. I was aware that the micro i used would not handle the 12v signal directlt so i effectively built a solid state relay using a Mosfet IC. A relay would have been too slow - an optical isolator would also have worked. My probe is one of those two-horse ones from the US. but its a Normally Closed to Normally Open (the reverse of what i required). To interface the probe and tool height setter to the skip signal i have used an Arduino Nano microprocessor and written a few lines of code to mux the 2 signals and provide the correct output to interface with the skip signal. Its working but i havent used it in anger yet.

The interface and probe/setter connections are in an IP68 plastic case which has magnets glued to the back so the box can be located inside the machine enclosure (wet area). Only snag i have is with my logic code, if i use it the setter has to be connected perminently or it triggers the skip signal, luckily the probe can be connected/disconnected without any issue. - result.

Hello,

I've been tinkering for quite a while adding a touch probe to my '96 VF3.
    I got myself a touch probe
    connected to the skip input Pin 1 is SKIP input getting connected to GND
    checked on the input status screen it s activating when touched.
    Started a program and ... nothing
    My program is not seeing the skip input at all.
    Any idea? Do I have to enable something for the G31 to see the skip input is changing value?

Thank you

nothing to enable.

just make sure you are joining the correct 2 wires on the i/o board skip plug connection

when you join them together you should get a beep and it also shows up an event in the diagnostics page.

it may be that your probe isnt taking the skip signal on pin 1 to ground whe its triggered. with my probe i had to build a circuit with a mosfet to act like a solid state relay.

using a normal relay will result in a delay between trigger and output of skip response

Attachment 474330

Hi Everyone,
    im still keeping this thread alive. Its like a right to repair for those of us who own older Haas machines.
    I have followed this most excellent topic and acheived the goal of getting it to work BUT.

Im wondering how to actually adopt the Z probing function,
    There are two methods of setting z height and there is a setting in the machine to let it know which your are using (i wont pretend to know all the details) you can set the Z height off of your workpiece and every tool you intend to use so the workoffset effectivly is the zero height for all you tools and the work. OR the other method is to set all your tools off a known height/ mechanicaltool presetter and then set you work offset by setting your distance to go to zero from the height setter/block then finding out what the difference is at the work height then entering it as a positive value.

The zip files containing the probing routines (excellent and very helpful by the way) are setting the work height when probed into negative space. this indicates to me that its what you would do if you were using the method of setting tools and work from the workpiece.
    im currently trying to get my head around using the G10 to save the setting so that it is correctly setting my height for the second method of all tools being preset (not on the part) and the z height being saved as the difference between what the tool height setter position is and what the probed work height is. I think it has somthing to do with P00 and then L2.

im bricking it, if i screw up once there goes the ruby tip

spending the day just experimenting, would love to hear somebody elses thought or input on the topic.
    i wont be happy until i see a positive value in the WCS for the Z axis.

The probe has its own pocket - pocket 10 and it has had its tool height offset saved in the tool table, so all tools have been set using the mechanical tool height setter. 2" off the table.

i have not gone as far as to set up the digital tool height setter yet and the option of a laser one is still a pipe dream ( have a break beam detector from a factory conveyor)

cant wait to experiment with in process tool breakage detection.

Added the toolsetter. now my question is, what does a macro look like that will allow me to measure the tools without having to either have a program for each tool OR retype the T and H values for each tool. Id want to load up the tools in the carousel, press start and have it check each tool type scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by legacymachining View Post
    Added the toolsetter. now my question is, what does a macro look like that will allow me to measure the tools without having to either have a program for each tool OR retype the T and H values for each tool. Id want to load up the tools in the carousel, press start and have it check each tool type scenario.
    I dont have macros enabled on mine, so I had to write a separate program to measure each tool. I guess you could combine all 20 programs into one if u wanted to measure all the tools at once.
    Let me know if u need a sample program.

Quote Originally Posted by legacymachining View Post
    Added the toolsetter. now my question is, what does a macro look like that will allow me to measure the tools without having to either have a program for each tool OR retype the T and H values for each tool. Id want to load up the tools in the carousel, press start and have it check each tool type scenario. M
    I just run the individual tool programs for the op I am doing, that way it compensated for wear.
    If your good at programming you can modify one to do a loop until you have measured your last tool. Should not be that complicated.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    I dont have macros enabled on mine, so I had to write a separate program to measure each tool. I guess you could combine all 20 programs into one if u wanted to measure all the tools at once.
    Let me know if u need a sample program.
    Yea i could definitely do that, but if theres no tool in that pocket the its a waste i guess. I just need to do some maco research. Also, anyone know how G31 Overshoot works? is that whats used to detect broken tool? I swear there was a parameter for G31 OVRSHT

@ brianbonedoc

Brian, from your code examples, you have some for tool height settings.

I have tried one but it has left me with a couple of questions

%
    O03302;
    (T2 Measure);
    T2 M06
    G00 G90 G59 X0 Y0
    G43 H02
    M55
    G04 P0.05
    G37 H02 Z0 F50. (Z0 is activated probe surface, use G59 Z offset to control probe height)
    G91 G01 Z.1 F100.
    G37 H02 Z0 F3.
    G91 G01 Z.1 F100.
    M56
    G53 G0 Z10.
    M30
    %

The way I have my machine set up I don't need to use an Auxiliary relay. Basically i have a waterproof box inside my machine which has an Arduino controller inside powered from the machines LV and allows both Height setter and Probe to be attached at the same time
    either device can trigger the SKIP signal. a bit of signal level correction as well as not both devices are Normally Open in operation.
    The logic behind it is that SKIP is only relevant when a function is called which requires a response. Anyways its all working as one would expect.

using the above mentioned probing method the value that gets received is in correct
    If a tool is set up manually using a manual tool height setter and the Tool Offset Measure button is used to record the tool height the value is in the region of -150.0 to -230.0 for example
    using tis example the reading is saved as zero. It looks like it does not report machine coordinates but instead zeros a reading as if tool and work height was based on setting for set tool and work heights using workpiece setting 64 Tool Offset Measure Uses Work.

at present my setting 64 is turned off as all my tools are set using a manual setter of known height (good idea if you use an ATC and levee it populated between jobs)

So the question is *** Without Macros ***
    how to get the result from the above code in negative space/machine coordinated.

Many Thanks
    Jason

Cheap Broken Tool Detection for Haas - Wiley Davis

This page from Wiley is absolutely spot on and incorporates integration into conFusion 360
    the Skip controlled tool height setter works a treat.

https://medium.com/hackernoon/if-you...25f#.v2dco514e

Now all i have to do is figure out how to bit bang control commands using the user relays to talk to an Arduino to control a 4th Axis or bare minimum an indexer.
    could be really useful to have a tombstone to increase production capacity.

It depends on how quickly the relay is triggered and reset, I have a full compliment of 5 user relays on my I/O board, you might need to solder some in yourself - hint hint.
    Haas in their wisdom did not fully populate boards depending on customer requirement at point of sale.

I have not attempted the +8 relay expansion - yet.

i'm also working on a door frig. The 2003 Mini Mill has an electrical lock, it releases under power being applied, guess what you can open the door with the machine switched off - For safety reasons LOL.
    adding a key switch, installing a 110v contactor and a key switch into the panel would allow for the installation of an override that perform as and AND/OR function by means of the key to apply 110v to the door release safety switch.
    The operator would have to be 100% responsible you activating the override with the key switch. One problem still wont work with the power off. I'm thinking of replacing the safety lock with a model which has a manual override built in.

This would be a good Facebook space to adopt https://www.facebook.com/groups/608817883760649 to discuss such silliness

Quote Originally Posted by reidar85 View Post
    Hi!

My first post on this forum. But been reading for quite some time, and this forum got a lot of useful information for a n00b like me

First off. sorry for my bad english

So the story goes -> built a mach 3 cnc mill and got tierd of it.. Came across a haas 1996 vf-2 for a reasonable price, and ended up buying and restoring it.
    One thing i really loved about the mach 3 setup was the probe stuff. It made it so simple to probe a bore or position the rotary table and set work offsets, so i was really missing the probe on the haas.
    Since i bought the machine for like 6000$ USD including the 4th axsis rotary table, you get that the budget is not to high, as it`s more of a hobby machine for me now, then anything else.

I did look into the reneshaw probing systems and stuff, and that would kinda blow my whole "tooling budget". So i was looking for a cheaper option.

There`s not a problem finding useful information about the reneshaw stuff, but the DIY stuff is much harder to find on these machines, since they are mostly in production compared to mach3 hobby machines.

So here goes:

Fist off, i had to figure out the SKIP signal stuff. Since i did not know anything about the skip function, i had to collect the information here and there. So for you out there that`s in the same boat as me, and know nothing about the SKIP , I`ll quickly explain.
    The SKIP signal is an input signal used i combination with some Gcodes, to stop the machine when the SKIP signal is broken or recived (depending on inverted signal or not)
    So the Gcode: G54 G36 X10.0 F50 will move the probe to X10 or stop the probe if it touch something. It then automatically ZERO your G54 at this spot.

So what I did was to find two wires, connect them to the SKIP input pins on the I/O board and short the wires together, when watching the SKIP input

Here you can see where to connect the pins. I just stole the "connector" from an old CPU computer fan i had. It fits right on there
    It`s marked 1070 P47 on the I/O board, on the backside of the connector not shown in the pic, it`s says "skip"
    Attachment 334726

Watching the skip-signal change when shorting the wires together - you will find this under diagnostics -> descrete inputs
    Attachment 334724

You can invert the skip signal, depending on what style probe you got.
    Attachment 334728

I Just bought a cheap one off ebay called TP-1000 . I liked the design of the adjusting screws on this one, so that`s my only reason for buing it compared to anyother I found out there.
    Attachment 334730

Next step was to wire up the probe. I simply did that by using some "ev1 injector connectors" i had laying around the shop. My plan was to use a minijack, but could not find one, and did not feel like going to the store
    Attachment 334732
    Attachment 334734

Almost eveywhere I was reading regarding probe stuff, Macros where mentioned. So I was a bit confued whether or not i needed the macro option installed to get this to work properly. I dont have the macro option installed on my machine.

So far so good, I manage to use the G-codes without any Macros, alteast to do the most common probing stuff like bore center and simple work offsets.

Here`s a small video showing the probe in action:
    https://youtu.be/tLi1rmDhHI4

And I`ll end this with some code exampels:

G31 (stores the probed point to memory, used with M75)
    G36 Automatic work offset measurement
    G37 Automatic tool length offset measurement
    G136 is verry useful. Uses the value stored with G31 M75, and the value meassured with G136, and dived`s that in two. to find the center point.

SO to find center of X in a bore and store that as G54 (I run Metric on my machine, so just a note if the speeds looks a bit off):

%
    o00002
    G91
    G54

G31 X30. F1000. (runs in x axis and stop when probe touched something, or 30mm is reached)
    G01 X-1. F200. (goes back to clear the workpice befor a slow measurement is done)
    G31 X1.5 F20. M75 (does the measurement at slow speed, and stores the meassured X value in the memory to be used for later)
    G01 X-1. F200. (clear workpice again)
    ;
    ;
    G31 X-60. F1000. (rapids over to the other side of the bore, and stops when probe touches)
    G01 X1. F200. (clear workpice)
    G136 X-1.5 F20. (slowly meassure workpice and automatically set the work offset to center of the two sides meassured, using the M75 stored value from the opposite side)
    G01 X1.0 F200. (Clear workpice)
    G90;
    G01 X0. F500. ( travel to center of what`s just meassured)
    M30
    %

Repeat the process for the Y axsis if you want to find the center of a bore/pocket/slot

For finding an edge or corner of the workpice, use G36, as this will set the work offset directly when the probe touch. Remeber to set the stylus offset under settings 59-62.
    Attachment 334766

Hope some will find this usefull

Sorry for all the photos beeing flipped sideways allmost breaking your neck
    Great job I guess most Haas users could use this or similar setup

Do you have a link to the Probe you used.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mejasont View Post
    @ brianbonedoc

Brian, from your code examples, you have some for tool height settings.

I have tried one but it has left me with a couple of questions

%
    O03302;
    (T2 Measure);
    T2 M06
    G00 G90 G59 X0 Y0
    G43 H02
    M55
    G04 P0.05
    G37 H02 Z0 F50. (Z0 is activated probe surface, use G59 Z offset to control probe height)
    G91 G01 Z.1 F100.
    G37 H02 Z0 F3.
    G91 G01 Z.1 F100.
    M56
    G53 G0 Z10.
    M30
    %

The way I have my machine set up I don't need to use an Auxiliary relay. Basically i have a waterproof box inside my machine which has an Arduino controller inside powered from the machines LV and allows both Height setter and Probe to be attached at the same time
    either device can trigger the SKIP signal. a bit of signal level correction as well as not both devices are Normally Open in operation.
    The logic behind it is that SKIP is only relevant when a function is called which requires a response. Anyways its all working as one would expect.

using the above mentioned probing method the value that gets received is in correct
    If a tool is set up manually using a manual tool height setter and the Tool Offset Measure button is used to record the tool height the value is in the region of -150.0 to -230.0 for example
    using tis example the reading is saved as zero. It looks like it does not report machine coordinates but instead zeros a reading as if tool and work height was based on setting for set tool and work heights using workpiece setting 64 Tool Offset Measure Uses Work.

at present my setting 64 is turned off as all my tools are set using a manual setter of known height (good idea if you use an ATC and levee it populated between jobs)

So the question is *** Without Macros ***
    how to get the result from the above code in negative space/machine coordinated.

Many Thanks
    Jason

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm currently setting up my own DIY probes, and I've run into an issue with the G37 command.

Does it actually update the Tool Offsets page for you? G37 never actually changes anything for me in the tool offsets page, it never changes the offset values no matter what I try, even when actuating the tool setter at random points in the G37 travel. In fact other than beeping and stopping the movement, it doesn't seem to do anything. G36 however works perfectly.

Yeah I’ve been using mine for years and it works perfectly. All my tool offsets update fine.

Yeah I’ve been using mine for years and it works perfectly. All my tool offsets update fine.
    Yeah I'm stumped. I am using a slightly modified version of the T1 program you uploaded, and I've experimented a bunch with G37 in MDI, it just doesn't appear to actually do anything.

Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/93WZw...?feature=share

Quote Originally Posted by mh6 View Post
    Yeah I'm stumped. I am using a slightly modified version of the T1 program you uploaded, and I've experimented a bunch with G37 in MDI, it just doesn't appear to actually do anything.

Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/93WZw...?feature=share
    Maybe it doesnt work in MDI mode? I'm happy to try stuff on my control or take pics of certain parameters if you need. LMK.

Maybe it doesnt work in MDI mode? I'm happy to try stuff on my control or take pics of certain parameters if you need. LMK.
    I got it working with every tool except Tool 1, which refuses to work with G37. Of course tool 1 was the tool I did most of my testing with..

This will work in MDI just fine
    G43 H05
    G37 H05 Z1. F5.

This will not
    G43 H01
    G37 H01 Z1. F5.

No clue why, but I'll take it.

Glad you got it to work! I have my probe on tool 1 so I use a height gauge to measure it manually. But I still think I could use the program to measure it.

Page 2 of 2 12