584,802 active members*
4,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics controller and Windows 10.

Milltronics controller and Windows 10.

This going to be a rant and a plea for suggestions.

I don’t know who’s the bigger culprit here or just plain stupid, but connecting your CNC shouldn’t be this difficult. A few years back I upgraded my C6 controller to an SBC, I think it was called, with Ethernet capabilities and then connected to Win 7 with some difficulties but I finally got it to work. The controller is faster for sure but keeping it connected via Ethernet has been a pain, especially with Win 10 the past couple of years. Every time Win 10 does an upgrade I lose my ability to communicate because of security settings in Win 10 that keep getting stricter and stricter. Windows 10 did an update over the weekend and now I’m stuck because the controller won’t read my share folder and I have no clue where to look this time. With previous updates I was able find solutions but this time I’m lost as to where to look. I called Milltronics and they said it’s a Windows problem and they don’t use Windows 10 there. Why do they sell a controller that cannot connect to anything today. And why does Microsoft sell software that prevents backward compatibility?

I’ve been using a multicard reader the past few days that I installed years ago that replaced a floppy drive but even it won’t read files half the time and have to shut down and restart the machine to get it to work. Not sure what’s going on there.

We do all our programming off line and rely on the Ethernet and need a solution quick. One solution would be to use a laptop with Win 7 on it connected to my Win 10 desktop as a file server and connect the machine to it bypassing the Desktop. Any other solutions would be welcome.

Re: Milltronics controller and Windows 10.

Gee, I guess the software engineers at Milltronics back in the 90's just weren't smart enough to write the control software so that it would work with every operating system created 20 years in the future.

You could update your machine to the Linux based Cent8 control, or the Windows based Cent9 control, or maybe dedicate an old computer running an older version of Windows and 2 NIC cards as a 'file server' for the Cent6 control.

You might want to look into using a NAS (network-attached storage) device. I think SportyBob may be experimenting with one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
    Gee, I guess the software engineers at Milltronics back in the 90's just weren't smart enough to write the control software so that it would work with every operating system created 20 years in the future.

You could update your machine to the Linux based Cent8 control, or the Windows based Cent9 control, or maybe dedicate an old computer running an older version of Windows and 2 NIC cards as a 'file server' for the Cent6 control.

You might want to look into using a NAS (network-attached storage) device. I think SportyBob may be experimenting with one.
    Thanks for the suggestions, that's more than what I got from Milltronics. I'll look into them.

The SBC update with Ethernet was sold to me when Windows 7 had been out for years and even then it couldn't be used straight out of the box, so to speak. I didn't expect plug and play but t didn't expect Milltronics to be so flippant either. It has been like "we have this product but we're not sure it will work so it's up to you to make it work" kind of attitude. The fact that they don't even have a Windows 10 computer there tells you a lot about how they operate as a company. The last time I looked at a calendar it was 2016, not 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, that's more than what I got from Milltronics. I'll look into them.

The SBC update with Ethernet was sold to me when Windows 7 had been out for years and even then it couldn't be used straight out of the box, so to speak. I didn't expect plug and play but t didn't expect Milltronics to be so flippant either. It has been like "we have this product but we're not sure it will work so it's up to you to make it work" kind of attitude. The fact that they don't even have a Windows 10 computer there tells you a lot about how they operate as a company. The last time I looked at a calendar it was 2016, not 1999.
    Why would they have too have a windows 10 computer there? Just because you jumped on the bandwagon does not mean that everyone else has too. There are very valid reasons not have windows 10 in a business setting, you being one of them. Check method 1 on this page How to set up file sharing on Windows 10 | Geek Squad do everything it says, make sure you dont have a third party firewall installed or enabled.

and do this ....

"To disable password-protected sharing (not recommended), go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > All Networks > Password-protected sharing and change the radio button to Turn off password-protected sharing, before clicking to Save changes."

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    and do this ....

"To disable password-protected sharing (not recommended), go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > All Networks > Password-protected sharing and change the radio button to Turn off password-protected sharing, before clicking to Save changes."
    Thanks xdubber, turning off password protected sharing did the trick. And why couldn't Milltronics have suggested that? Oh yeah, they don't use Win 10. As for using Windows 10 in a business environment, it shouldn't be a problem. All may customers use it. I've been using it for a couple of years now with just this one problem that just happens to be related to the Milltronics controller, imagine that. My workstation has multiple CAD and CAM software running on Win 10 just fine, even better than they did on Win 7.

The Problem with Win 7 is that it wanted more control of file sharing etc, you have to turn off the ALL the "security" to the shared folder. Win7 and DOS do not play well together. and Win 7 cry's and screams like a girl in a bug factory.
    But you can make it behave.

The Problem with Win 10 is; It is a "software as a service" ( SaaS) It will update at ANY time it so pleases and wont let you know what it did. All sorts of companies are having problems with this, Gee, the printer worked OK yesterday, what happened?? OH Win 10 did an update, now all sorts of things don't work. MS wont help You are left trying to figure it out.
    When you get things working again, Try turning off the "automatic updates" It is buried in there some where. It is a MS problem they need to fix.

I have good luck using a NAS drive. It uses a strictly TCP/IP to both sides. One side is to WIN 7 / 10 the other side is to DOS on the machine. DOS and Windows don't ever have to play together again. DOS likes the NAS, Windows likes the NAS, The NAS does the work,. everybody ( Windows) is happy.

Bob M
    sportybob