585,567 active members*
3,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > CNC Bridgeport series 1 boss convert to mach 3

CNC Bridgeport series 1 boss convert to mach 3

New to the forum. While looking for a manual bridgeport I came across a cnc which I feel is a decent deal on a machine. Around $1000 for a Bridgeport series 1 cnc a half hour from home. I have been reading everything I can find for the last two weeks on forums and can't seem to find the info I need to decide on this purchase. I just want a 3 axis cnc mill in my shop. Not worried about tool changers, tapping, 4th axis ect. This is for my personal hobby-offroading, drag racing- shop with intentions of some small amount production fab work eventually. Affordable and not too too much of a project is my main concerns. I am leaning toward mach3 since it seems to be the most popular with lots of support forums if I have issues. I don't want to just go buy a retrofit kit if I can DIY this and save tons of money plus learn more along the way.

The machine has motors on x, y, and z axis'. It has a tape reader on the side of it and a control panel that looks like some sort of one line at a time g code. Machine appears to be in good shape and is still hooked up. Number on the knee is j199396c. Number on the spindle motor 2j-69631c. Variable speed spindle with high and low. Not sure what style tool holder it is. Ways look to be in good condition.

What I am having trouble finding:

How to tell which BOSS system it is? If one would be better/worse?

What specifically do I need parts wise to convert this to Mach3 controller?

If I were to keep the axis motors that it has how or would I be limited in any ways? Could I keep use those for now and upgrade later?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Re: CNC Bridgeport series 1 boss convert to mach 3

I love mine. I use LinuxCNC but the changeover is pretty. Remove all the electronics except for the stepper motors then add modern stepper drivers and your favorite CNC software.. My mill is at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...22953-cnc.html

Make sure the ways are solid. CNC machines do not like sloppy

In the last day or two I've learned that I will need a driver for each axis motor.

The breakout board and motion controller are just different names for the same part.

I still havent found anything else to determine wich BOSS system this machine is or what the differences are in BOSS 1-10.. or if it makes any difference since I want to upgrade anyway

Rlwoodjr I have came across your post in my searches. I didnt even notice the links at bottom of the post for pics. I am just used to them loading on their own. Yours looks good. I like the clean small box for the electronics.

The machine I'm looking at has stepper motors for sure.

Thanks, you do not need a lot of space for the power supply and stepper drivers.

I did mine much like rlwoodjr. Mine's a BOSS 3 (a knuckle-head) and it has the steppers with large cast fins. I use the same Gecko drivers and I re-used the smaller box from the back over to the side so I could install the VFD and PC with the rest of the control system.

Do make sure the ways and ballscrews are in good condition. Mine had the Z-axis quill over-extended and some of the balls came out. I discovered that during a complete tear-down and it took months to sort out (I have a few threads here about various aspects of my build). Beware, the software side may not be cheap or easy.

Quote Originally Posted by scottystephenss View Post
    The breakout board and motion controller are just different names for the same part.
    No the Breakout Board and the motion controller are two different parts of your system

Quote Originally Posted by scottystephenss View Post
    I still havent found anything else to determine wich BOSS system this machine is or what the differences are in BOSS 1-10.. or if it makes any difference since I want to upgrade anyway
    A basic guide to tell you what you have is early Boss machines up to Boss 5 have a 1:1 Timing Pulley Ratio after the Boss 5 they had a 2:1 ratio, this is easy to check on the Y axes
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by rlwoodjr View Post
    I love mine. I use LinuxCNC but the changeover is pretty. Remove all the electronics except for the stepper motors then add modern stepper drivers and your favorite CNC software.. My mill is at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...22953-cnc.html
    What are you running for drives and power supply? What current and voltages are you running

I am using Keiling torroidal power supply, 72VDC 20 amps runs Gecko G203V drivers. Motors wired parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    I am using Keiling torroidal power supply, 72VDC 20 amps runs Gecko G203V drivers. Motors wired parallel.
    What brand motors? I'm running boss t2 as power supply. Lead shine dm860 drives. What are you using for software?

I kept the original motors - forgot which ones. I've used both Mach3 and LinuxCNC. Still playing with the software part.