585,784 active members*
4,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 3 stops mid cut

Hi all,
    Just getting my new cnc router build up and running, using Mach3, g540, and ESS Smoothstepper.
    Was running my first work piece and mach3 just stopped midway (about 1hour 30 min in). There were no warnings, and soft limits were not enabled. Spindle was still spinning, and it was sitting on a G0 Z move to a location it had been before (no axis movement)
    I pressed run, and it just plunged the z axis and started spinning my 4th axis, causing a violent collision.

Any idea what could cause Mach3 to just stop? Was it just buffering or something? (Not smart on how mach3 works behind the scenes)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Mach 3 stops mid cut

Is this a licensed copy of Mach3, or the demo which quits after 500 lines of code? If it's licensed, is it finding the license in your Mach3 folder?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Yes, full license and well past 500 lines is when it happened, also see the license in the header. I read another thread here about someone's similar problem, he upped his debounce and it never happened again. I'm going to scrap my Chinese proximity switches (one has already failed, they are just sketchy), install good limit switches, up the debounce to 2000 and see how it works.

I did cut air with the same code and it made it past the spot where it stopped. I'm hoping it was a phantom stop caused by possibly faulty proximity switches. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjb1187 View Post
    Yes, full license and well past 500 lines is when it happened, also see the license in the header. I read another thread here about someone's similar problem, he upped his debounce and it never happened again. I'm going to scrap my Chinese proximity switches (one has already failed, they are just sketchy), install good limit switches, up the debounce to 2000 and see how it works.

I did cut air with the same code and it made it past the spot where it stopped. I'm hoping it was a phantom stop caused by possibly faulty proximity switches. Thanks

Hello;
    I have the same problem as you, if you don't mind I want to know what is the solution that you took to solve this problem and thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tjb1187 View Post

So, if you have to have any debounce that means you have an EMI noise problem, wiring and Grounds is normally the problem.
    Mactec54

I agree with mactec this is most likely and EMI noise issue. A simple test is to run the same gcode but disable your spindle by disconnecting the spindle power. You are just air cutting and see if the program goes all the way to the end. If it does it confirms the noise issue

Russ