585,741 active members*
5,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > UCCNC Control Software > uccnc v 1.2024 released (bug fix on probing / uc100 from 1.2022)

uccnc v 1.2024 released (bug fix on probing / uc100 from 1.2022)

Re: uccnc v 1.2024 released (bug fix on probing / uc100 from 1.2022)

Great, but hopefully it is not going to be an endless loop of installation of new releases. I mean OK, I buy that mistakes are made but new releases so often is not really my cup of tea... especially without a list of what is fixed, why and what are the consequences of a new installation, and also without the possibility of proper and simple backup (import/export) of ALL the settings, configurations, screens and what not.

It's a bug fix. New releases will have bugs, and the bugs get fixed.
    They fixed a bunch of bugs, and released an update. They found out their was still a bug in probing, fixed it, and released another update.
    What are they supposed to do?

Generally, it seems like there's an actual new release 2-3 times a year.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It's a bug fix. New releases will have bugs, and the bugs get fixed.
    They fixed a bunch of bugs, and released an update. They found out their was still a bug in probing, fixed it, and released another update.
    What are they supposed to do?

Generally, it seems like there's an actual new release 2-3 times a year.
    Not complaining, but it would be great to get some background information. Not everyone is up to date regarding issues and bugs to be fixed, and with that information you could easily figure out if you need it or if it is worth the trouble or not and decide if you want to wait or not.

Nobody is forcing you to install the latest release.

If you have a release that works for you, use that one. The problems found were very specific to applications (modbus) and uc100 probing..... if you are not running a uc100 it should not be a problem to you.

Unfortunately CNCdrive were not able to replicate the problems on their testing machines and if you read the posting on the forum from Eric it was specific to one machine..... and now it appears he has uncovered another one machine glitch with G31 being slow at while & wait functions "potentially" again not replicated on others machines...

Give the guys a chance.... they are sorting the bugs when they come up (I for one am very happy with that approach as I'd hate to be waiting for the next major release cycle to sort the bugs.

Sometimes consider what you're going to achieve by rocking the boat (consider Cui bono!) .... I've seen your other post about a custom screenset and profile.... unfortunately that is the way with custom screensets potentially and profiles....... what will you do when uccnc version 3.0 comes out.

These guys are more proactive than NFS and much more communicative ..... try to get that support now from NFS on the mach forum.... good luck!

However frustrating it is maybe a step back is helpful to evaluate the end game..... quick but potentially numerous bug fixes or a long wait between official releases which are the only releases to incorporate bug fixes....

I know which I'll choose if version 1.2020 (or 1.2021) works for you, use that for the time being, and stay one major release behind.

I'm not up for a flaming (or measuring contest) like what has been going on in the other 2 active threads, but the last most important item in the below "management lesson" always springs to mind before rocking the boat in addition to cui bono
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	management-lessons-8-728.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	335130

It is generally a good idea that once you are up and running to create a new profile (other than teh default profile) that way nothing will get accidently overwritten by an update if you forget to uncheck teh box. That in a sense is your backup for now.

(;-) TP

.... in hindsight of lunch.... I was probably a bit strong in my post earlier....

I'd just really like to keep those guys at cncdrive on side and developing the code whilst the competition looks stagnant (mach4 at present only has infrequent "front page" public releases that are few and few between ... the development versions are sought via ftp access.... because every time someone downloaded the latest version it had the nasty habit of not functioning correctly with the current motion controller plugins for previous versions..... or that was what it appeared to be....

At least this is joined up thinking.... a few motion controllers + software, less compatibility issues...

Quote Originally Posted by robertspark View Post
    Nobody is forcing you to install the latest release.
    I know that very well and that was NOT what I meant.

If you have a release that works for you, use that one. The problems found were very specific to applications (modbus) and uc100 probing..... if you are not running a uc100 it should not be a problem to you.

Unfortunately CNCdrive were not able to replicate the problems on their testing machines and if you read the posting on the forum from Eric it was specific to one machine..... and now it appears he has uncovered another one machine glitch with G31 being slow at while & wait functions "potentially" again not replicated on others machines...
    I was the one who found the Modbus bug (unless you are talking about another one, not the timeout value) and informed Balazs about it a few days ago. I also thanked him for the quick fix. The UC100 related issue was not something I remembered, but that is pretty important to know that it only involves the UC100 users. The big Q is... are you sure it is only UC100 users that are getting this? I think only CNCdrive can answer that question.

Give the guys a chance.... they are sorting the bugs when they come up (I for one am very happy with that approach as I'd hate to be waiting for the next major release cycle to sort the bugs.
    I do give them a chance, that's why I bought the UC300ETH. I hope you understand that, but if not then so be it.

Sometimes consider what you're going to achieve by rocking the boat (consider Cui bono!) .... I've seen your other post about a custom screenset and profile.... unfortunately that is the way with custom screensets potentially and profiles....... what will you do when uccnc version 3.0 comes out.

These guys are more proactive than NFS and much more communicative ..... try to get that support now from NFS on the mach forum.... good luck!

However frustrating it is maybe a step back is helpful to evaluate the end game..... quick but potentially numerous bug fixes or a long wait between official releases which are the only releases to incorporate bug fixes....

I know which I'll choose if version 1.2020 (or 1.2021) works for you, use that for the time being, and stay one major release behind.

I'm not up for a flaming (or measuring contest) like what has been going on in the other 2 active threads, but the last most important item in the below "management lesson" always springs to mind before rocking the boat in addition to cui bono
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	management-lessons-8-728.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	335130
    That last part I find directly offensive and very rude. Why do you suddenly feel the need to be rude? If you disagree, that's fine, but just because you disagree you don't have to sink this low. All I asked for is some information about the contents and the consequences of installation. That can certainly not be offensive for anyone, can it? Of course if it is a serious issue I want to install it, even if I just installed one yesterday. Questions about why there is an emergency release (this is what we call it at my job) is pretty normal from where I come from, whether you like it or not is none of my concern, but gives you no right to be rude.

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    It is generally a good idea that once you are up and running to create a new profile (other than teh default profile) that way nothing will get accidently overwritten by an update if you forget to uncheck teh box. That in a sense is your backup for now.

(;-) TP
    Right. It was NOT accidentally overwritten. But since the release yesterday meant a new profile, that didn't work, and unchecking the box can create other issues unless you know you can uncheck it, since CNCdrive EXPLICITLY recommends you NOT to uncheck that box and advice you to let macros and configurations to overwrite by the new installation.

That is exactly a reason why a little more information is necessary. If configurations cannot be reused I would like to know that in advance.

The best is if you create you custom profile with custom name the installer will never overwrite that so you don1t have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    The best is if you create you custom profile with custom name the installer will never overwrite that so you don1t have to worry about it.
    Jag vet det! Det var det jag gjorde igår.

Once again, I know that, but that works only if the profile structure is not changed, like it did yesterday, and the only way to know that is if there is information about the change.

hI A_C can you please explain what you are referring to about teh profile structure changing . What changed ???

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Great, but hopefully it is not going to be an endless loop of installation of new releases. I mean OK, I buy that mistakes are made but new releases so often is not really my cup of tea...
    I would expect to get a lot more new releases as time goes by.

I am actually grateful for this, because it means we have developers working on, and improving this already great software as we speak. For the price we are getting UCcnc at I don't expect a perfect application. Mach3 had a lot of releases too until development stopped. If I was paying a few thousand for this software I'd be expecting more of a finished product but for what we are getting it at I'm very happy that we have developers that quickly fix bugs and also implement new features that users suggest.

I actually get excited whenever there's a new release, because it's normally an improvement one way or another.

Keith.

Ok. this time something maybe changed between the versions if it won't work, but I have no clue about that.
    P.S.: I just downloaded & installed the version 2024 and my old profile still works, if this is any help?!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Right. It was NOT accidentally overwritten. But since the release yesterday meant a new profile, that didn't work, and unchecking the box can create other issues unless you know you can uncheck it, since CNCdrive EXPLICITLY recommends you NOT to uncheck that box and advice you to let macros and configurations to overwrite by the new installation.

That is exactly a reason why a little more information is necessary. If configurations cannot be reused I would like to know that in advance.
    A_camera,

Better yet, do what I'm doing, install every new version in a new directory. I have ver 1.2020 in a UCCNC2 directory, 1.2023 in a UCCNC3 directory, 1.2024 in UCCN4 directory. Once you have one setup the way you want it, copy your profile/plugins/etc the the new version installs, you can then run any version you want, and they are all setup the same.

I currently run 1.2020 for cutting parts, and am only using 1.2024 for testing of probing issues at the moment. Once bugs smooth out, I'll delete a few of the old versions and carry on using the newer ones as the primary version I run for cutting/probing....

Any time a new version comes out, unless you want to be a part of bug finding/fixing, it would be best to wait a bit.

regards,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    hI A_C can you please explain what you are referring to about teh profile structure changing . What changed ???

(;-) TP
    Modbus timeout was not saved before as discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I would expect to get a lot more new releases as time goes by.

I am actually grateful for this, because it means we have developers working on, and improving this already great software as we speak. For the price we are getting UCcnc at I don't expect a perfect application. Mach3 had a lot of releases too until development stopped. If I was paying a few thousand for this software I'd be expecting more of a finished product but for what we are getting it at I'm very happy that we have developers that quickly fix bugs and also implement new features that users suggest.

I actually get excited whenever there's a new release, because it's normally an improvement one way or another.

Keith.
    I have nothing against new releases, even if they would come once a week, as long as there is clear information about the impact and the differences. Yes, normally a new release contains improvements, but in general, for every 5-10 bug fixes you introduce at least one new bug. That's more or less a rule of thumb, so everything is not to the better with frequent releases, but of course, if they release something and suddenly realize that they made a serious error, that must be corrected immediately and my understanding is that this is what happened. Never the less, information like: "This has impact on UC100 users only" is VERY important if that is the case, just like "This has an impact on every installation because the contents of the profile file, or the structure of the file is changed".

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Ok. this time something maybe changed between the versions if it won't work, but I have no clue about that.
    P.S.: I just downloaded & installed the version 2024 and my old profile still works, if this is any help?!
    Good to know, thank you. But if the impact is on UC100 only then I'll skip this one, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by eabrust View Post
    A_camera,

Better yet, do what I'm doing, install every new version in a new directory. I have ver 1.2020 in a UCCNC2 directory, 1.2023 in a UCCNC3 directory, 1.2024 in UCCN4 directory. Once you have one setup the way you want it, copy your profile/plugins/etc the the new version installs, you can then run any version you want, and they are all setup the same.

I currently run 1.2020 for cutting parts, and am only using 1.2024 for testing of probing issues at the moment. Once bugs smooth out, I'll delete a few of the old versions and carry on using the newer ones as the primary version I run for cutting/probing....

Any time a new version comes out, unless you want to be a part of bug finding/fixing, it would be best to wait a bit.

regards,
    Eric
    Thanks!

:banana:

This is the best proposal I have seen so far. I didn't know you can have several installations and can run any one of them at your choice, of course only one running at the same time.

This is what I am going to do next time I install a release. Yes, normally I prefer to wait as well, but the 1.2.023 contained a bug fix on my request, so that was important to me. If I wouldn't have needed Modbus I'd have skipped that one as well.

:cheers: