Hello all,
I just started a new job as digital fabrication manager for a big art foundry near New York City. We cast and fabricate large and very large sculptures and architectural metal in bronze, ss, steel and aluminum. We use 3D printing and cnc milled foam patterns in our everyday processes. We were just gifted an older DMS 5T5-5-5-48 5axis router with moving tables and one of my tasks here is to first assess if it's worth putting together to get it running again and then do it if it makes sense $ wise.
It was manufactured in 2005. I'm still researching its history and how much use it got.
The machine is not setup yet. No power or shop air lines hooked up yet.

I've been checking out the machine with visual inspection and it is in decent condition. It doesn't look like it got much use.
-The backbone is currently disconnected, strapped to and leaning against the gantry, resting on the router knuckle.
-The oiler looks like it was working fine.
-Belts are ok but probably could use a swap out.
-Not sure how to assess the counterbalance cylinder until everything gets hooked up.
-probably missing some hardware (I can't find the bolts to hook up the backbone, for example)
-this machine doesn't have a tool changer.
-looks like there is vaccuum table componentry but not sure.
-its got Glentek motors on the overhead x and two y tables. (DMS says these were earlier motors, not the greatest)

I've started a dialog with DMS and they seem like they will be helpful in recommissioning this machine, but I want to learn as much about it as possible before deciding to spend $ on having their techs come out here for $200/hour.
I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this machine or similar from DMS and if anyone has opinions on whether we should sink some money into this thing to get it going or put the money towards something newer and more state of the art. I figure we can probably get it running for under $10k in parts and labor, plus another $10k max for electrical and air routing and a dust collection system. This could be could be a decent backup machine after we land up getting something newer someday.
I'm also going to need some advice on best cam software to program parts with. We are a full Rhino house here and we're working with increasingly more complex and dense mesh files coming from customers as well as our own in house hi res laser scans.

thanks for any input!
best,
Robert