585,717 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Full Enclosure w/original Control Panel

Tormach Full Enclosure w/original Control Panel

I was wondering if anyone purchased the Tormach full enclosure for the older 1100 and kept the stock (pushbutton and switch) control panel on the electrical box in place rather than removing it.

I hate to remove it if it isn't necessary and have to remount the probe connector and give up other switches such as the key switch for the spindle. I had the spindle start inadvertently with the probe wired in (albeit w/ mach 3) and the result wasn't pretty (for the probe wire nor my body) so I get in the habit of turning off the key switch when I use the probe).

Re: Tormach Full Enclosure w/original Control Panel

I did. I bought the first enclosure sold and I'm still running the original front panel. I've had the enclosure on my machine for about 2 1/2 years. So far, so good.

I have reworked the coolant delivery system on my machine and I have gotten rid of the loc line that came on the machine.

Other than adding the enclosure and reworking the coolant delivery system, my machine is exactly the way it came out of the box.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. That was what I was hoping. That can also save me some time with the installation.

It seemed to me that there wouldn't be much different with the full enclosure. My coolant nozzles are normally pointed in the opposite direction from the control cabinet.

I now have the Smart Cool so that is also pointed away from the cabinet.

Slightly different setup 770 with fogbuster not flood, i went to the full cabinet which was fantastic!

But also swapped out the control panel, if i was going to do it again i would leave the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by al010964 View Post
    Slightly different setup 770 with fogbuster not flood, i went to the full cabinet which was fantastic!

But also swapped out the control panel, if i was going to do it again i would leave the panel.
    I wonder why Tormach makes it seems like it is a must that the panel be removed. I asked them (prior to purchasing my full enclosure) if the kit relocated that panel to outside of the machine and they said NO but this person agreed that it would be a good idea and said that they would bring it up for discussion.

At any rate, I decided to go forward with leaving mine in place and will see how I feel about it after a while.

I have to say how impressed with how well the cabinet went together and how well all of the holes aligned.

The only thing that bothers me is the method they use for door slides (eye bolts on a pipe). I thought they would have used ball bearing rollers like on the lathe.

I had seen a picture where someone moved the whole panel outside of their machine and mounted it on their enclosure. I had assumed for the longest time that they sold some extension kit of some kind. I use the panel quite a bit during setup.

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    I have to say how impressed with how well the cabinet went together and how well all of the holes aligned.
    I think that the enclosures are made in the US so that might explain a better fit than the mill and base have.

Yeah agree it does go together pretty well but i do remember going oh ...christ this is the worlds largest mecaano set when i started to un pack it. As i didn't have anyone to help for 99% of the build and my machine backs onto a wall.

If it didn't line up so well..... it would have been a mission trying to solo install.... but thats why i paid the $$ and got one freighted to Australia as i dont think i could have built a better one taking into account time and materials.

But back on topic, there is some photos of a remote install but non standard i think. It would also be a good option for those running flood that have splash concerns and wanted to keep the panel.

Also agree the shower rail could have been better thoughout!

Cheers,
    .adrian

I have a full enclosure and left the control panel in the machine. I used the remote relocation kit and mounted it on the outside so I still have a stop and green start button on the outside. I got some twist lock stop switches and wired them in series so either stop switch will work. I have thought about covering the control panel but I use mostly the fog buster and have not had any problems.

Chris