584,802 active members*
4,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Guitar Head and neck transition Solidworks Catia Mastercam
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Guitar Head and neck transition Solidworks Catia Mastercam

This is a question that comes up often on the forums. All you need is a wireframe consisting of 4 entities. Then make a coons surface. That will give you half of the neck transition.
    ...or you can hire a monkey to bang on your keyboard for a few hours until it looks just right. It should only cost a few bananas. I'd try the wireframe method first unless you happen to know a zookeeper. The 4 entities are as follows:
    1) A line which is the thickness of the headstock, where your thumb would be.
    2) An arc that would be on the neck where the palm of your hand is. It's about a quarter of a circle.
    3) A spline that is part of the edge of the top of the headstock.
    4) A spline opposite that one. Make it tangent to the center line of the surface of the neck and tangent to the surface of the back of the headstock.

It's probably best if these 4 entities are closed but not entirely necessary. Then make the coons surface. I like choosing the parabolic option for a surface of this nature but it's up to you. When you get good at this you can make one coons surface that has the neck and both transitions at either end of it.
    Best of luck to you.

Who knows. Maybe this is how you do a transition blend for a slab cut bolt on. But you might get better results if a monkey pounded on your keyboard for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    Hi, thank you, this is all I need fixed, is this transition on the corners. I need it to look close to the real picture. Thank you.
    You need that to look just like the real thing, huh? You know, I could make a pretty penny if I specialized in just this sort of thing. But seriously, what's it worth to you if I got that to look just like the real thing? Shoot me an iges of your dilemma. I can't open step files in my antiquated version of mcam.

I LOVE THE MONKEY ANALOGY, More bannannas

Please post the files and we'll see what to do.
    I need to take a break sometimes with a challenge.
    Monkeys with education making guitars!

Like Bostosh says, break the transition in to smaller pieces. Don't try to blend everything at once. Break them in to smaller regions, do your surface loft blends, then combine everything after.

Mine is coming along, after scanned and had it redrawn. Just practice wood of course. Better toolpaths on the rough and finish would be nice, any favorite ones people like?.

Looking Good,
    Better toolpatrhs?
    Are you using surface flowline?
    Been doing this too long

Constant scallop to rough, surface finish shallow to finish..

That's not a half bad transition you got there. Congrats! One thing I've found to be particularly useful in this particular area is that mastercam allows you to create tangent splines for smooth transitions.

When you create a spline select the option for the "ends" to be on. That way you can make them tangent to an entity or by degree or whatever. I usually pick an entity to make the spline tangent to. Making stuff tangent is the key to smooth transitions. This works for arcs too.

Then once the wireframe is all nice you just skin it out and it kinda interpolates the surface automatically. Then you just machine it with whatever method you feel is appropriate. Flowline is a pretty good choice for these areas. Wish I could try the scallop or shallow method but my version won't do that. Oh well, I'll have to rely on open source software for the new fangled cutting strategies.

You might consider adding a couple extra tabs in the middle of the neck or towards the thinner part. While machining this area can tend to bend somewhat as it gets thinner and thinner.

Glad to see you're making progress though.

Thank you for the help, I did a couple more tabs to the head and heel, and will also try cutting the radius first, before the profile to keep it more rigid.

Smile Re: Guitar Head and neck transition Solidworks Catia Mastercam

This was done on the computer, freehand so to speak. It's a stl of the verified machined part mc allows to be saved.

You mentioned that you scanned your part. How'd you do that? The only way I can scan something with my current technology is to lay the part on the machine and manually take point readings with a pointy tooltip and try not to scratch the surface of the part when I jog the z. Thankfully however I've never attempted this. Just thinking about that is rather painful.

But I was curious. How'd you do the scan? It's something I've always wanted to do. How accurate do you suppose your scan is? There's various methods with various degrees of accuracy. So far the freehand method on the computer has worked for me. But I don't really duplicate stuff so much as create stuff, so it doesn't really matter. If it looks good enough on screen it usually turns out ok once machined. But I was always curious about scanning because frankly I think I could make a better looking transition by hand than onscreen.
    Thanks,
    Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files

That looks great, I stopped by a Metrology lab and asked if they could scan a purchased neck for me, they said sure, as long as they could use the file as training. I also gave them a machined neck out of practice material. Pictured is the scanned stl from the real neck that was scanned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4469.jpg   IMG_4465.jpg   thumbnail.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 12