585,719 active members*
4,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Multicam Machines > New to me Multicam SF router, electronics rebuild? Pic heavy documentation
Page 1 of 3 123

New to me Multicam SF router, electronics rebuild? Pic heavy documentation

So I was going to build a larger format cnc router when this one fell into my lap. It's a 3ph220v machine with no controller computer.

First thought was to get a vfd and try and run it with the existing electronics. This is a 1998 model. From what I've read Multicam upgrades can cost 5-10x what I paid for the router. Plus not having a way to upload info to the machine--mpservice can you comment? Leads to my second choice.

I'm running a 30x40 80/20 router now. I know mach3/4 and can build a control box around that so I thought that I'd document progress here. This thing is a beast, and solid with a Colombo 4hp spindle and pneumatic drill on the z axis.

I thought some of the home build guys would like to see some Picts under the hood, so I'll do that too, some good ideas the I can share as I go along.

This puppy is heavy, but I got it off the trailer myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New to me Multicam SF router, electronics rebuild? Pic heavy documentation

The electronic cabinet is almost 5 feet long.

Rack and pinion drive, 4 wire steppers (yea), and some sort of belt reduction??

Z-axis head, I wish that I had thought of this on my first build.

Both steppers are enclosed and also have connection points for the spindle. This sides are thin and the top and bottom plates are stout. The z is 1:1 with a lead screw. The very top was a molded plastic shroud.

I remember struggling to make wires for steppers and for limits long enough, wish I had thought to do it this way.

Hello ,

I can startup your machine . I know your electronics and how to communicate with your controller.

I think in first phase it is better you use the electronics for multicam instead of changing that.

Do you have any manual for that ?

Can you send it for me for my review?

Is that machine equipped with surface zero sensor ?

Is there any key on controller for moving z axis up and down ? I just see 4 arrows on that for x and y axis.

you can contact me by email [email protected]

where are you located ?

Matt

Thanks, Matt

Here are pics of the pendant. No z height probe came with it, however the 4 prong on the upper right has a single wire so that maybe the trip. I have the manuals, but would have to scan them.

Where would I start, vfd? The spec says 220, 3ph, 20amp.

I posted part of the wiring diagram on the electronics part of the cnc zone. I'm in Texas.

ok thank you .

I live in Los Angeles .I can help you to startup your machine. that is a very good one.

First I need you send me the manual or the pages that describe the keys.

I want to know how we can make the z axis zero on that ?
    How you jog z axis up and down ?
    which key is dnc key on controller to read programs from pc?

if you can scan the manual or take photos and send to me is very useful.

my email is [email protected]

I have the manual of your spindle controller.

I will check that for you to see how you can run it.

Mahyar

Hi

I am working on your spindle startup and I will tell you soon how to turn it on.

Meanwhile please answer to my previous questions and scan your complete manual and schematics and send it to my email.
    you can go to any shop like office depot and scan it as pdf file and send it to my email.

thanks
    Matt

Hi

I just waiting for your reply.

Is it possible for you to send me the manual and schematics by scan or copy of that by mail ?

Do you have 3 phase for your inverter ?

Mahyar

Those old SF machines are really solid. I like them.

You are correct that one of the CPC connectors on the side of the head is for a surface block to do touch offs. The standard block that came with the machine was a piece of aluminum milled to .25" thickness and will "ground out" the 24v signal using the bit (which is grounded through the spindle).

As for machine control, you should be able to run it using the older WinDNC multicam software.

Ok, so doing some research, if I go single phase I can use this hitachi drive to run the Colombo spindle, but the question is X1 transformer 220 3ph to 220 1ph? If so this would be easy, otherwise I'd need a phase converter for 20amp, anyone have ideas. Still looking for one, probably need a rotary phase converter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those late 90's MultiCams are usually pretty sound. The upgrade to modern controllers and components difficulty depends on whether you have the original schematics. With them simple, without, a real pain. I have upgraded a number of these to WinCNC control and have upgraded the reduction drives to all metal pulleys.

Here is an after pic on a 96 model with WinCNC I/O and digital stepper drives installed
    Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

Quote Originally Posted by greenb_60097 View Post
    Ok, so doing some research, if I go single phase I can use this hitachi drive to run the Colombo spindle, but the question is X1 transformer 220 3ph to 220 1ph? If so this would be easy, otherwise I'd need a phase converter for 20amp, anyone have ideas. Still looking for one, probably need a rotary phase converter.

You already have a VFD for the spindle in the MC control Box, you just need a rotary phase converter to produce the 3 phase for the main connection.
    Like this: https://www.americanrotary.com/produ...l-smart-series

Neal

The 3 phase is actually only used for the vfd. The X1 transformer is just using two of the legs to make 220 single phase that it gives to the DC power supplies.

The Hitachi VFD in your picture is only rated .4 KW far too small for your spindle.

From the looks of your spindle and current VFD, the spindle is a 7.5 hp / 5.5 kw Colombo, they're rated at 21.5 amps at 220V and 12.5 amps at 380V. (I've got 2 on my MC Pro)
    Last I looked the only single phase to 3 phase VFD's are only available up to approx. 3 hp. rating.

You should be able to pickup a good used Roto Phase on CL cheap, or make your own.

Neal

Neal, the Columbo spinde and has the following drive labeled EMS PC3-22p2. On the side label the following specs are listed CIMR-PCU22P2 SPEC 22p2n1, input 3ph 0-230 vac 50/60hz 12.1A and output 3ph 0.230vac 4.2kVA 3HP 11A maz. 0-400Hz. Drive warehouse spec'd the drive I listed.

The Multicam tag says 20amp, I'd hate to buy a rotary converter and still rebuild the electronics.

Ok then, with a 3hp spindle you could go the 1-3 phase VFD rout.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCeiling View Post
    The 3 phase is actually only used for the vfd. The X1 transformer is just using two of the legs to make 220 single phase that it gives to the DC power supplies.
    That was what I was wondering, about that x1. I thought I saw somewhere that the vfd could take L1,L2, that worries me a little, I could always power up w/o spindle hook up to see if it boots up and moves.

So we have power, movement and homing.

Getting frustrated, can home and start spindle. Multicam serial connection pin out appears to be identical to a null modem serial female to female connector but I can get the controller and computer to connect. MX32 says there is a communication error...error 5 in create file. feel so close to running yet so far away.

Page 1 of 3 123