584,837 active members*
5,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Is there a hobby waterjet like a Wazer?

Does the DIY hobby world have a kit for making something like the Wazer? It seems a quality pressure washer and a replacement mixing nozzle from a professional waterjet could do great things.

Wazer link

Re: Is there a hobby waterjet like a Wazer?

On some soft stuff it would. You can chip concrete with a 6000psi washer. But no, it's not like the one they made. I am pretty sure they made an actual intensifier pump. Could be wrong

Cutting would take a fair amount of pressure however... in my experience anything below 900 bar is rather useless.. Understand slow and average quality of cut..

WARDJet offers several size build it yourself "kits" of an industrial waterjet cutter that cuts at 60k psi
    https://wardjet.com/products/waterjets/wardkit

They had students and others putting one together at the IMTS show.

$80K, yeah that sounds like hobby level. LOL

Neat had no idea anyone even made a kit.

I guess not. That's kinda surprising. I know 6K psi would cut slower than 60K psi, but it would work. Heck, the Grand Canyon was cut with almost 0 PSI. I have a feeling Wazer runs on a standard pressure washer given the limited background of the creators.

I know 6K psi would cut slower than 60K psi, but it would work
    If it did, then someone would be doing it.

I have a feeling Wazer runs on a standard pressure washer given the limited background of the creators.
    Wrong.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If it did, then someone would be doing it.

Wrong.
    You stopped in to call my wrong. Care to elaborate?

Our waterjets don't cut worth a darn under 20k psi. I sure as hell wouldn't want one at my house. Dirty messy high maintenance and high consumable things.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Boo-ya baby! Cutting 1/16" aluminum with a $150 pressure washer at 2" per minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg__B6Ca3jc

CutOnce,
    Very interesting experiment. Actually your setup worked pretty well and for hobby CNC this would probably be pretty effective. I will have to check out Wazer as well, but using a WJ to cut aluminum would be pretty nice.

Russ

I saw the video on YouTube and then came here for more information. Surprised that I haven't seen more discussion. Nice detail on how to modify the pump. Nice he can buy the ruby insert, but somewhere in the comments I saw something about the company only selling parts to existing customers of the commercial waterjet. I noticed he is always approaching from the side. I wonder if it can pierce cleanly?

He doesn't pierce because the sand would spray in his face if he did. What kind of control software and gantry is recommended to a hobbyist wanting to do this?

The WAZER doesn't seem economical at all. If you look at their feed rate, it can cut (max) .1875" mild steel at .4 ipm. It consumes .33lb of garnet per minute at ~$1.1 per pound.

Imagine a simple part, say a single .1875 3 x 5" bracket with a few features, call it 35 inches of cutting. With piercing I image the cut time will be around 90 minutes. 33 dollars worth of garnet for a simple part. A 60k psi water jet could cut the part nearly two orders of magnitude faster. The same part is probably 2 minutes on a 100/hr. industrial machine. Just doesn't add up.

I'm sure there will be some niche use cases, but it seems mostly like a bad deal.

I'll trust your math, but for hobby, the math looks attractive. Imagine that same simple part. It takes 2 weeks to get the first prototype cut and shipped to me from a machine shop. The part has a mistake, now the second one takes another 2 weeks. Then there is a design change, the 3rd one takes another 2 weeks. That's 6 weeks to do the same thing Wazer can do in one day. So I would argue that for a hobbyist, there is more value in a Wazer-like machine than a machine shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddard_Stark View Post
    The WAZER doesn't seem economical at all. If you look at their feed rate, it can cut (max) .1875" mild steel at .4 ipm. It consumes .33lb of garnet per minute at ~$1.1 per pound.

Imagine a simple part, say a single .1875 3 x 5" bracket with a few features, call it 35 inches of cutting. With piercing I image the cut time will be around 90 minutes. 33 dollars worth of garnet for a simple part. A 60k psi water jet could cut the part nearly two orders of magnitude faster. The same part is probably 2 minutes on a 100/hr. industrial machine. Just doesn't add up.

I'm sure there will be some niche use cases, but it seems mostly like a bad deal.
    Don't buy the garnet from them. It should be in the $0.17-0.35/lb. range if you buy enough. Enough may be half a metric ton however...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recycling garnet is possible. Much of it never hits the material.

Good luck drying it out and separating it from the tiny material "chips". And the garnet that does hit the material has the sharp corners worn.

For 20-25 cents a pound I'm using fresh garnet.

Too rich for me. I'll stick to using my CNC mill for metals. What would be really interesting would be if a water jet like this could use table salt as the medium or some other graded sand to be "cheap", just for cutting wood, and then mount the head in place of router on a Maslow CNC.

Where's all the water gonna go?

Page 1 of 2 12