586,024 active members*
4,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > What do you do for a living?
Page 1 of 4 123

Talking What do you do for a living?

I work as a Automotive mechanic and have for 32 years now.
    Over the years I think I have worked on about every car made that is running around here in the US. It has been a good career over the years, I managed to earn enough to rais 5 kids and my wife was able to stay home all these years. From time to time I have taken breaks from cars and did computer work but that was WAY BACK in the early days of PCs when they needed work ALL THE TIME.
    Deep down I hope to stop repairing cars and trucks some day but I think it will be my bread and butter for many years to come, unless I invent something really cool that EVERYBODY NEEDS.

By the way if you ever have any car/truck questions? I would be more then willing to help from time to time.

Here's one for you.. a 93 Chevy half ton pickup, 212,00+ miles, 350 V8 TBI, 212000+ miles, new injectors, fuel pump, filters, timing chain, ignition components, oxygen sensor, idle speed control valve.
    Problem: floods out at idle, and blows black at road speed, floods out at stop sign. NO check engine light (light does work).
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Newby2 View Post
    Here's one for you.. a 93 Chevy half ton pickup, 212,00+ miles, 350 V8 TBI, 212000+ miles, new injectors, fuel pump, filters, timing chain, ignition components, oxygen sensor, idle speed control valve.
    Problem: floods out at idle, and blows black at road speed, floods out at stop sign. NO check engine light (light does work).
    Steve

Check the EGR valve, that year and motor is known for the EGR to leak a little vacume. Also that truck is known to do that when the ECM fails. Another thing is make sure the ground wires on the thermostat housing are secure.

31 yrs in the motorcycle industry, opened a parts, accessory and service shop 6 yrs ago. I'll offer the same, if you need to know something about your Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Harley ask away.
    Robert

I treat water for a living, been doing it for years. Believe it or not, I am actually a licensed professional. At least that's what the state keeps telling me....
    Been burning and beating metal on the side for years as well. Unfortunately, I am so slow at my metal working I have to work in surface water treatment to make a living.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Optics. Been making optical components for nearly a quarter of a century. All for military applications which let taks, aircraft, people, missiles see what they are meant to hit.

Funny thing is with the new ISO14000 regulations we have to evaluate the impact on the environment our process make.... environmentaly friendly missiles weirdness or what, I thought they were meant to destroy the environment...
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Sterilizatoin Scientist!!!
    I design processes for sterilizing disposable medical devices. I use ethylene oxide gas for a sterilizing agent and have a working knowledge of gamma irradiation. I have sterilized millions of cubic feet of product over the last 30 years or so. How did I get into CNC!! Caught the bug!!
    Bill from Spartanburg.
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    I treat water for a living, ....
    I do hope you treat it nicely .

I run a small manufacturing company. Actually to be really correct I have people running it for me and I putter around developing new products and tooling and spend time on the Zone alternately helping and irritating people.

As little as possible for as much as possible...

Manufacturing engineer currently working with metal optics, much like ImanCarrot. Hoping someday to be like Geof and have people run MY place for me while I tinker with new ideas.

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Student, Constructional engineer (or at least in 1,5 years)
    Give me a pm if your house is coming apart (or you need a new one )
    Building Stage: [///////------]45% Now we are getting somewhere...
    Ordering & planning: [///////////---] 80% Aaaalmost done...

I cut up dead pigs in an abbatoirs, I work in the boning room. It is a very boring repetative job. It just manages to pay the bills.

Peter
    Australia

Engineer, I work mostly as a consultant in production control and have a software product for scheduling and tracking. home founder fr 25 years, builtmy cnc last year

Dont forget Valentines day 14 Feb.
    Dont forget Steak and BJ day 14 Mar
    In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

I program CNCs by day and am an editor (professional blogger?) for a couple of motorcycle sites by night.

Oh, and a full time parent, but that one doesn't pay very well monetarily, but the emotional bene's make it well worth it.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I do hope you treat it nicely .

As nicely as can be expected, of course.
    Well, as nice as they will pay me for, anyway.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

I work as a freelance certified broadcast engineer. I can usually be found covering golf events for the networks as part of the wireless camera/microphone crew.

No cnc equipment yet, but some manual machines and a well equiped woodworking shop.

Rick

Own a machine shop & fabrication business. Most of what I do is new replacement parts for underground coal mining machinery.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Wink

Wow a lot of cool trades so far.

Let's see...

We can get Apples to cut up a pig for a barbe and invite RLC and his biker clients over, get boaterri and Rekd to cover the event. I'm sure we will need millman52 to build us that huge coal fired bbq, and beone to schedule everything. I'm sure Oce can spank out a stage in a hurry with cdlenterprises's help. ImanCarrot is in charge of environmentaly friendly fireworks, and massajamesb & bill south get to clean up the mess after.

Oh yeh.. Me, I'm just going to sit back and have a beer or 3

I've been an electrician for the past 23 years. It's a great job and pays well here in San Jose, CA.

I was doing a job at Stanford University (I like to call it a Jr. University, because that is the official name). Anyway, there was a robotics professor who was demonstrating a robot outside the building who commented to the crowd how it would put people like me out of work. I noticed that his extension cord was not long enough and I asked him where he was going to plug it in, case closed.

Vince

Footnote. The professor got another extension cord and plugged it into the 1st cord. He was now pushing 200' of cord (cheap 16 gage cord). When he plugged it in his robot would not work. I never bothered to explain to him about IR voltage drop. He was lucky to get 80 volts out to his robot.

5-axis Abrasive Waterjet Operator for the past 4.5 years.

I actually get to use my self built cnc machines for a living. I cut architechtural mouldings out of eps foam (The white beer cooler type, but more dense) for residential and commercial buildings. None of the equiptment I use so far is made of anything more than hardware store parts and DIY electronics available on line. I understand that they dont use foam mouldings everywhere for reasons Im not sure of, so if you'd like to see what Im talking about see this site, he is one of my bigger customers, and perhaps one of the poorer spellers so ignore the typos.
    www.dkfoam.com

Ed Rees
    Lemon Curry??

Page 1 of 4 123