585,668 active members*
4,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Problem - X axis motors fighting each other, can't overcome homing issues.

Problem - X axis motors fighting each other, can't overcome homing issues.

I'm building a 5x10 machine based off the CNCRouterparts Pro series using an 2" square tube steel frame and NEMA34 motors. dual for X axis. I'm running the ESS smoothstepper from a WinXP machine running latest rev of Mach4 through a C11 BOB. I'm able to sync up without any problem, Y axis works great in jog mode, z axis needs some minor tuning, but I'm beyond baffled as to how to get the dual X motors not to fight each other. I have a single limit switch for each axis wired up now and CANNOT get the two X motors not to fight each other. Xr (right side of machine) is wired to X axis, XL is connected to A. No matter what I change, they insist on turning (the same, but since they're mounted directly to rack and pinion 180 degrees offset...) opposite directions. Ger21 made a comment a while back how he answered that question 3x in one day, and I have scoured the internet for two days trying to figure out a possible solution. I have checked the reverse box in Mach motor config, I've inverted the limit switch direction, etc etc, but nothing makes any sense. Motors are set up as X=0, Y=1, Z=2, A=3, with Motor 3 being slaved to X. I can provide screenshots, photos, and anything else, but I'm lost on the initial setup of the homing and limits. I've referenced the pdfs for the ethernetsmoothstepper setup and troubleshooting guide, and just about every page on warp9td.com.

What am I doing wrong?
    thanks!

Re: Problem - X axis motors fighting each other, can't overcome homing issues.

I am not a smoothstepper user but if I remember correctly what ! have read

the three printerports emulated by the smoothstepper do not function exactly the same way
    and it may be worth connecting to another port

the microprocessor is connected to the three 26 pin connectors via a programmable array
    it could be what programmers try to pass off as a feature rather than correct a bug !!

John

Re: Problem - X axis motors fighting each other, can't overcome homing issues.

Any of my comments would be regarding Mach3.
    Mach4 setup is very, very different.
    I'd contact Artsoft Support, and ask on the Warp9 forum.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)