585,982 active members*
4,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can I instal Win XP over Win 98 please?

I'm running Windows 98 on my PC (Second Edition 4.10.2222A) and want to instal Windows XP.

The problem I have is- will it delete my AutoCad and Dolphin software please?, I have the CD and codes for my Dolphin, but the previousl operator left with the CD's for AutoCad.

Since I find it impossible to use Dolphin CAD to design stuff (the CAM stuff is ok) I am soley reliant on AutoCad and so cannot afford to lose it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Don't touch it -No - Not - bad things will happen
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

XP needs a clean install. Please do not attempt an upgrade form Win98. Seriously... don't do it!

Okies guys, thanks.. I had the install disks ready and am glad I let caution prevail. Many thanks for the replies.

should i buy a color tv or keep my black an white one?
    should i buy a cordless drill or a longer extension cord?
    how about light bulbs or candles, flush toilet or an out house?
    are you sure the world is not flat?
    save your data and advance to xp before it becomes obsolete,
    like windows milenium did.
    good things will happen.

A mate down the pub who makes a living doing pc stuff says it'll work... I'm gonna try it. He recommended copying the whole hard disk using Norton Ghost- that way if it fries then I lost nothing.

Gonna try it Monday... will post the results (or lack of lol).

hello:
    nothing will be lost if you clone your hard drive to another hard disk.
    norton ghost will have to be re-installed on the new opperating system.
    all other software will also need to be re-installed in order for it to be in the new system regester and run.
    so in the long run you will have to re-install all of your software other than the opperating system.
    depending on how much data you have, it may all fit on a cd or 2.
    you will also need to have your motherboard and other hardware cd's
    to re-install hardware drivers, xp may not have them built in.
    don't forget to save your e_mail addresses.

It won't work because you don't have the serial key for AutoCAD to reinstall it on the new OS.
    Otherwise all the above suggestions are spot on AND I believe there are other assumptions being made here.
    - Are you installing an upgrade version - if so you may get lucky.
    - Simply trying to write a fresh install of win XP over top of an install of 98 will likely end horribly.
    - Hard drive should be formatted first then XP installed.
    - If you have a large hard drive with extra space you could partition the drive and install winXP beside your Win98 and have the ability to chose which 1 to use on boot up.
    You would have to use 98 for ACAD but could use XP for all else.
    - Win XP likes to use NTFS file system and 98 uses FAT 32, to keep from having potential file sharing issues (if doing a dual OS install) you will need to install XP using the old FAT 32 format.

Have fun.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I'm in a similar boat; I want to upgrade my old Presario 5050 (original everything) from *98 to XP. I am getting ready to start my build and still researching cnc plans, components, software, etc. Leaning towards Mach3 and Xylotek kit (269oz.in.) on a David Steele plan. I want to do medium sized (2' x 3') and smaller 3d graphics carving in wood and plastic.

Question:
    Is it possible to upgrade the CPU (processor: PII) and other internal components to work with this build or would it be better to get an off name CPU that's more current? Also looking into VCarve down the road.

Thanks for any info. Please keep in mind, I'm a newbie but sometimes catch on kind of quick.

teemac,
    The last time I did an "upgrade" to a friends computer, when finished, it was within $40 of a whole new box! XP wants MORE- cpu, memory, etc. I would seriously consider starting fresh.
    Bubba
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thx for reply Bubba,

That's what I was thinking too, just wasn't sure and needed to hear other opinions. Trying to figure up a price tag for this project, what do you think a capable unit for this would run? At retail I'm seeing around 400.00 to 500.00. Does that sound too high?

Tee

Lately, I have been running bear bones boxes from:
    www.tigerdirect.com

Watch the sales (and rebates) and I think you might come in some what less.

Sometimes they have specials for a lot less.

Of course a lot depends on just how much system you want.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

That's unbelievable. Didin't know they went that low in price. Thanks a lot Bubba. May start building sooner than originally planned.

Very helpful !!!

Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by teemac View Post
    I'm in a similar boat; I want to upgrade my old Presario 5050 (original everything) from *98 to XP. I am getting ready to start my build and still researching cnc plans, components, software, etc. Leaning towards Mach3 and Xylotek kit (269oz.in.) on a David Steele plan. I want to do medium sized (2' x 3') and smaller 3d graphics carving in wood and plastic.

Question:
    Is it possible to upgrade the CPU (processor: PII) and other internal components to work with this build or would it be better to get an off name CPU that's more current? Also looking into VCarve down the road.

Thanks for any info. Please keep in mind, I'm a newbie but sometimes catch on kind of quick.
    I used to build my own puters. One im running now is a dual pIII 1000 7 years old. Buy a new box it will cost more to upgrade what you have and you will still end up with less. any p4 or higher with at least 512 megs of memory should do. Or any athlon or higher with 512 meg should do fine.

ImanCarrot

What do you need XP for? Why don't you install a dual booth system?

Quote Originally Posted by Duker View Post
    Buy a new box it will cost more to upgrade what you have and you will still end up with less. any p4 or higher with at least 512 megs of memory should do. Or any athlon or higher with 512 meg should do fine.
    I agree Duker. Bubba linked me to a site that had great prices. I will probably get something there. Just trying to pinch pennies but don't want to create more headaches down the road.

Thanks for the input.

Watch out for Tiger Direct rebates, for myself any others I know it has been hit and miss, If you do not get the rebate the answer everyone seems to get is 'You couldn't have filled it out properly' or 'We never recieved it'
    I was very meticulous about following the detailed instructions.
    The last one was a larger one, so I sent a letter of complaint to head office and eventually (9 months) I got it.
    Just something to be aware of if you are comparing prices.
    They appear to have some other company handling the rebates.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al The Man

Thanks Al for the heads up. Still about 3-4 weeks from needing it, so plenty of time to check around. Any other sites you could recommend to check out? Doing a search gets me plenty of hits but I'm not sure of their reputation other than the reviews they choose to print.

i have always had good dealings with new egg.
    i wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.