677 24.23%
  • 40 to 49

622 22.26%
  • 50 to 59

444 15.89%
  • 60+

292 10.45%
Page 3 of 22 1234513
    What was the question again? Where am I? Gee, I think the Alzeimers is kicking in already!
    Seriously though, 48 this year.

New in CNC zone

we´re a supply conmpany out of the states and if you guys need o want to do jus send me a e mail ...we have the control in all central america...and just in case .....i am young but very smart.....so the age don´t make how god do u are in something

Hola como vas?? cual es tu negocio y de que parte de espana eres
    saludos

34 years of old age. Started my career as a mechanical designer but have learned that the only way to get things done is do them yourself. I have been slowly aquiring my machining skills.

P.S. - I read the human brain develops into its most productive starting at age 40! So I have something to look forward too.

[QUOTE=Athreo 1;257017] the only way to get things done is do them yourself. QUOTE]

Amen brother I am 41 and totally agree with you 120%

Hey skippy I noticed we joined the same time and have the same number of post. Imagine that!

[QUOTE=Aksess;257019]
    Quote Originally Posted by Athreo 1 View Post
    the only way to get things done is do them yourself. QUOTE]

Amen brother I am 41 and totally agree with you 120%
    Does that explain why my home address is G91X0Y0Z0A0M19 or G28U0V0W0B0 sometimes, LOL? Only 33. Can't remember how to spell most words and want to spell everything in G-Code.

Man, something is definately wrong Maybe it's BROKE!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Or something like that
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

48 and workin hard.
    You know, people talk about not having the older generation to learn from but from my experience of the last few years, seems the younger generation don't really want to learn. They all want the big money but don't want to learn first how to make that decent money. Just mt opinion
    Gary

Smile Livin the country life

46 years last november, spent 18 years doing every thing you could do on a grain farm and the last 27 in the oilfied. this experience and hands on are worth more than you could ever learn in college, it even makes fixin broke junk a lot easier, being a machinist/welder/mechanic/electrician, is the best job i could ever possibly want, Can't wait till the sun comes up tomorrow, something is sure to be different than today!!

I'll be 24 in about a month. I've been designing and machning things off and on for around 6 years. In my opinion, learning things the hard way is one of the most effective ways to learn (although not the most efficient). Call me lazy, but I try to take advantage of any opportunity I get to learn how to do things (or not to do things) from older guys. I also do my fair share of studying and research to see if current technology allows for other options that the the older guys didn't have.

-Matt

Ill be 54 in May, but I had a hip replacement last August. So, I guess parts of me are brand new. Does that count????
    Bill from Spartanburg
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by grinder_gary View Post
    48 and workin hard.
    You know, people talk about not having the older generation to learn from but from my experience of the last few years, seems the younger generation don't really want to learn. They all want the big money but don't want to learn first how to make that decent money. Just mt opinion
    Gary
    Well Gary, I can't speak for everyone else, but it would be nice to learn from some older folks with experience...not just someone who is older than me and does the same job. Also...if you are capable of doing the work or already doing the work you should be getting paid the same as the older guys...not making half of what they make. Barely scraping by, paying rent, and having to drive an old POS, while other guys have new vehicles and a nice house is not my idea of the American dream. And no, I don't blow my money on alcohol or drugs...I don't make enough to afford them!

When I was a young detailer/designer at an engineering company, I watched where the money was going. I watched the engineering company pay a lot of money to machine shops internal and external. When I tried to get things built that I designed on my own, I realized that machine shops charged alot of money for their time. I later went to work for a small job shop in their QA department and watched the owner rake in an amzing amount of money.

My philosophy is at the end of the day, someone always needs something build, made, machined, welded or assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    Well Gary, I can't speak for everyone else, but it would be nice to learn from some older folks with experience...not just someone who is older than me and does the same job. Also...if you are capable of doing the work or already doing the work you should be getting paid the same as the older guys...not making half of what they make. Barely scraping by, paying rent, and having to drive an old POS, while other guys have new vehicles and a nice house is not my idea of the American dream. And no, I don't blow my money on alcohol or drugs...I don't make enough to afford them!
    See there is part of the problem nothing aginst what you say i will agree that you have to be paid what your worth but you cant compair what your self to the older guys and what money they make, They have doen their time and worked for years to be were their at you cant just expect to step in and get paid what they do You have to do the time as well o matter if your doing the same job or not, And you may be doing the same job maybe even doing better but remember the older guys are the ones that came up with most of what you do and have forgoten moore than you will ever know
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    See there is part of the problem nothing aginst what you say i will agree that you have to be paid what your worth but you cant compair what your self to the older guys and what money they make, They have doen their time and worked for years to be were their at you cant just expect to step in and get paid what they do You have to do the time as well o matter if your doing the same job or not, And you may be doing the same job maybe even doing better but remember the older guys are the ones that came up with most of what you do and have forgoten moore than you will ever know

I agree with 90% of what your saying with one part left outstanding. One should get paid what they are worth. Age has nothing to do with it, and if it does, that is called "Discrimination". Everyone pays dues one way or another. If they are at a Company longer that is Acceptable to a point. Discrimination because of your "AGE",........... ISN'T.

Where the Older guys have forgotten more than I know now is true. But you have to consider that time stands still for no one. Technology has grown. There are a lot of young people out there that know more about other things that pertain to the same job.

Take Computers, Software, and CAD/CAM for instance. That is what jobs want today, not a Manual Machinist. I can say the Manual Machinists are the Best at Machining. If they learn about CNC's that is great, if they don't, where will they be in 5 to 10 years?

Time doesn't wait for any of us which is why we try to learn more and more.

Here is a better example. I teach guys 5 to 26 years older than me to use CAD and CAM Software. Should I get paid less than them because of my age? Simple answer, "No". There is a 23 year old Machinist roaming these Forums that makes more than most. Why, because he is very Smart.

One gets Paid for their Abilities, not their Age.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Your right on, and i was refurring to machinest a machinist in my book is someone like myself that can walk in and pretty much run anything in the shop,
    and lets say you have been at a place 15 - 20 years and a guy comes in doing the exact same job and making more money "no mater what his age" i would be a bit pi$$ed. Thats all i was saying were im from we call it the toldem poll
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    Your right on, and i was refurring to machinest a machinist in my book is someone like myself that can walk in and pretty much run anything in the shop,
    and lets say you have been at a place 15 - 20 years and a guy comes in doing the exact same job and making more money "no mater what his age" i would be a bit pi$$ed. Thats all i was saying were im from we call it the toldem poll
    100% AGREED:rainfro:

Just remember that is better to be PI$$ED-OFF than PI$$ED-ON, LOL
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    100% AGREED:rainfro:

Just remember that is better to be PI$$ED-OFF than PI$$ED-ON, LOL
    HA HA absalutly

Old enough to know all about the depression and WWII when things were made mostly by hand. WWII brought about the design and manufacture of war materials and machines by many people through dedicated co-operation.

Page 3 of 22 1234513