• 40 to 49

622 22.26%
  • 50 to 59

444 15.89%
  • 60+

292 10.45%
Page 1 of 22 12311

How old are you?

I'm keen to know the age spread of people across this forum...

"Old enough to know better...too young to care!!!"

i used to be 'young' now i am less young... still 'young'.

Old, young, it don't matter..."Ve gets to soon old and to late schmart"
    Newby2, 54

48, only my body getting old but not my mind.

46, What I use to could do all day, now takes me all day to do!!!
    Robert

hi

hi friend i am just 26

I'm 22.

40+

Age and treachery will always beat youth and ambition
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

60+

Yes young fellah, but everything is relative and at a certain age even treachery requires too much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    40+ Age and treachery will always beat youth and ambition

50th this spring. I thank you all in advance for the machine supply gift certs.

For a head of cabbage I'm very old. For a mountain I'm very young. For a man, I'm just right.

I crack me up.

30, but still look 19, and feel 50, so does that mean i can retire LOL
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Old enough I cant remember without thinking for a second.. LOL

Old enough to be getting on with the business of living or getting dead.

A slight sidebend in the conversation here...a lot of experienced machinists are retiring, dying or just plain being discarded...where am I supposed to gain more knowledge from if the establishment keeps putting these guys to pasture? It would take me two lifetimes to re-learn half of what these guys have been taught or experienced themselves. Everytime I think I'm clever and "know" the right way to do something, one of the older guys shows me how clever I'm not and an easier/better way to do that same something. Every once and a while, I think like they do and come up with an easier way to fixture something or accomplish two things with the same set-up and I get an attaboy...that means more to me than a bonus check. I still appreciate the bonus, don't get me wrong...but pride can keep a man's shoulders straight when they feel like slumping.

Good point WYLD,

I learned to hand craft lenses when I was an apprentice from older guys who had forgotten more than I'll ever know. We were the last batch of apprentices at Barr & Stroud. Of all of us, I'm the only one still in optics... their knowledge will sadly die with me since there's no- one to pass it on to.

It's a shame since it was more like an art than work and incredibly satisfying to make something that you physically could not measure any better.

Makes me feel a bit sad that it'll all be lost
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    Old enough to be getting on with the business of living or getting dead.

A slight sidebend in the conversation here...a lot of experienced machinists are retiring, dying or just plain being discarded...where am I supposed to gain more knowledge from if the establishment keeps putting these guys to pasture? It would take me two lifetimes to re-learn half of what these guys have been taught or experienced themselves. Everytime I think I'm clever and "know" the right way to do something, one of the older guys shows me how clever I'm not and an easier/better way to do that same something. Every once and a while, I think like they do and come up with an easier way to fixture something or accomplish two things with the same set-up and I get an attaboy...that means more to me than a bonus check. I still appreciate the bonus, don't get me wrong...but pride can keep a man's shoulders straight when they feel like slumping.
    well think about this what makes those guys so good is is they have tried all the stuff that we are trying and figured out what worked best and if there not around to show us then that just means we have to apply our selves that much more instead of doing what you know will work take a min. and think about what you can do to improve it or be like me and dream about the sh*t "wich i dont recomend" but thats how the old guys got good trial and error
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

46 The mind is willing but the body isn't. Can still drag a 200 lb. deer out of the woods buy myself, but like the help from my Buddy's.

Are we talking about mental age or ?

17 mental / 33 at noon / 65 at 5 am

Page 1 of 22 12311