585,589 active members*
2,898 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > 1095 steel stock bowing after facing .25mm

1095 steel stock bowing after facing .25mm

As the title says. I am working with 2" x 10" x 5/32" 1095 steel, the stock is very flat before beginning work. However, after the first side had 0.25mm faced off, I noticed a severe curve, as the stock now bowed in the middle. This stock is small enough that I can use a rubber mallet to flatten the stock on top of a flat surface, and returns it to a flat(ish) state. However, I wanted to know what I could be doing to prevent this from happening in the first place.

I am using aluminum soft jaws on my vise to hold the stock down, and I'm using the Tormach SuperFly Cutter for my facing.

Thanks!

Re: 1095 steel stock bowing after facing .25mm

Its probably the mill skin on the material.

Make sure there is enough material to be able to take skim cuts and still finish the part.

Load it in the vise and DO NOT hammer it down. Let it clamp in the vise in its natural state. Take a 0.1 to 0.2mm skim cut off the top.

Flip the part over in the vise and do the same thing for the bottom, also DO NOT hammer it down.

Flip the part again and start from this side did the first skim cut and you should be able to machine the part without it warping further.

Hammering a warped part into the vise causes it to hold the warping once the part is unclamped. Generally depending on how the material was made cold or hot rolled, there is stress in the outside skin of the part. Once you remove the skin it causes the material to pull in different direction.

Good luck!