585,764 active members*
4,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Just for Fun

Just for Fun

I have been working on one of the prototypes for my first plasma CNC/Router book. I was doing some speed and acceleration tests and while running at almost .6 Gs, I decided to un tether the machine from the wall and raise the levelers so it was riding on the casters.

She is running at about 3000IPM at .6G

https://youtu.be/3k_s_AIoajU

The current prototype now has the X and Z axis attached so it has even more mass. Will have to let her out for a little dance to see what happens.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Re: Just for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    I have been working on one of the prototypes for my first plasma CNC/Router book. I was doing some speed and acceleration tests and while running at almost .6 Gs, I decided to un tether the machine from the wall and raise the levelers so it was riding on the casters.

She is running at about 3000IPM at .6G

https://youtu.be/3k_s_AIoajU

The current prototype now has the X and Z axis attached so it has even more mass. Will have to let her out for a little dance to see what happens.
    This will probably be a bit fast for plasma cutting, unless you are working with really thin stock

Yes I know. When I do a prototype, I often take it to the extremes. This particular machine is already being converted to a R&P system with a 2.5 to 1 reduction.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

That's awesome, I wish I could get my machine going that fast! I'm at about 200ipm lol! Keep up the good work!

While funny this can be a very imformative video for people new to CNC tools in general and CNC routers specifically. It is sometimes counter intuitive to people that haven't been around machine tools but weight in a machines frame isn't a bad thing in most cases. Likewise you moving parts can benefit from weight control.

Pretty slick!

I ran my CNCRouterParts standard machine upto 1600IPM was scary fast. I set my rapids to 1000IPM and rarely go about 400IPM while cutting.

That video is crazy with the unlocked wheels letting it roll around!