585,930 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hi from Perth

Hey All,

Newbie in Perth saying ''Hi''. Anyone else NOR?

Regards

Rich/

Re: Hi from Perth

There's a few dirty southies kicking around, dunno about way up there though.

Welcome aboard

I'm based in Osborne park, I only have a small router - Shapeoko 3 XXL.

Looking to buy something like a Tormach 1100.. I want to get into steel parts. I also enjoy a beer and/or whiskey

Be interesting to see how much pain is involved in getting a Tormach here - they're a neat little machine. Possibly also worth having a look at a thread running from a guy who just imported a slightly bigger machine from China for less than a Tormach, kinda watching that one with interest.

South of river for me .. I was drawn to Tormachs but the cost vs size of machine scared me ..

Tormachs are a pretty step up from the Hafco or Optimum baby mills and they're slick - all set up and ready to go, ATC and all the mod cons of a nice VMC in a hobbyist's package. But you pay for that shrinkwrapped, plug-it-in-and-go convenience. And the thought of shipping costs frankly terrified me

Sadly here there's not a great deal of help in the "You should just buy a second hand VMC" department. The stuff coming up on gumtree, quokka and fleaBay is usually older than I am and it just costs too much in coal to get enough steam pressure to run those old machines Which leaves us with home conversions of bigger mill/drills, shelling out $30k with Hare and Forbes for the Optimum cheapo VMC, or importing something exxy.

So far my el cheapo chinese router is doing ok for me. When it stops being able to do what I need my next step will probably be a conversion on a knee mill or something similar.

Sometimes you can buy a near-new second hand Australian-made Adept Machining Centre from Queensland. They are an extremely robust and very accurate small mill for metals. They seem to have been designed to hold 0.01 mm accuracy while being beaten up by TAFE students. It's a long story. Yes, I have one, and it works very well and quite hard. An upgraded one will cost you $10k - $15k though.
    Mine is shown below. It has been 'enhanced' since I bought it.

Cheers
    Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7389.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Tormachs are a pretty step up from the Hafco or Optimum baby mills and they're slick - all set up and ready to go, ATC and all the mod cons of a nice VMC in a hobbyist's package. But you pay for that shrinkwrapped, plug-it-in-and-go convenience. And the thought of shipping costs frankly terrified me

Sadly here there's not a great deal of help in the "You should just buy a second hand VMC" department. The stuff coming up on gumtree, quokka and fleaBay is usually older than I am and it just costs too much in coal to get enough steam pressure to run those old machines Which leaves us with home conversions of bigger mill/drills, shelling out $30k with Hare and Forbes for the Optimum cheapo VMC, or importing something exxy.

So far my el cheapo chinese router is doing ok for me. When it stops being able to do what I need my next step will probably be a conversion on a knee mill or something similar.
    I bought a Wabeco 1410lf HS with enclosure etc from MDA Precision in the States for 30k AUD landed. I can hear it cranking away in the garage as I type. Very happy with it, takes up not a huge area either.
    Think I will look at Tormach 1100 as well, and read online here and other forums, whether it is worth it, or shell out for a Haas V3. I like the Wabeco, but I want a tool changer more than anything

I like the look of the skyfire VMCs - SKYFIRE CNC

Chinese built not far from where the Tormachs are, and the gear looks pretty good. there are a few videos kicking about on youtube too.

I got a quote from the manufacturer as there aren't any prices on the website, this is what he came up with (prices in USD)

SVM-1L CNC milling machine-------$7200

SVM-1 Mini VMC----------$11500

SVM-2 Mini VMC----------$13500

Could i have the price for ATC on each machine also?

-----yes of course.

For SVM-1 machines, we can install ATC-8 tool, $1800

For SVM-2 series, we can install ATC-12 tool. $1900

Please can you quote shipping to Perth Australia, 6021------Yes, the CIF ocean shipping cost to your port is $300

I like the mini ones I could make me one of those using the linear rails could be an Interesting project,also the bigger ones are very nice I would need a heap of work for one .cheers John.

Hi Stuart

A wise man would do a bit of a search on CNCZone for the Skyfire brand before handing over that amount of money.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Hi Stuart

A wise man would do a bit of a search on CNCZone for the Skyfire brand before handing over that amount of money.

Cheers
    Roger

I read every post of the 200-odd page thread... it was like a soap opera! I think he had a lot of issues with keeping up early on,and even went through a stage of not responding to emails for whatever reason.

That was several years ago and by all reports the company has come a long way.

It's hard to beat the tormach in that size/price range though,and the service is supposed to be excellent

Hi,

I am new to CNC and would like to meet others in Perth - any area.
    Have parts to put Raptor a 30" 48" together.

Regards
    Bob

Hi everyone,

I am also in (Malaga) Perth. I have recently bought EMCO Maximat Super 11 Lathe and Cincinnati No. 2MI Milling Machine to complete my Small CNC milling project. I am planing not to use liner guide ways. Please check attached picture of my machines. I also got Churchill surface grinder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EMCO Super 11 Lathe.jpg   Cincinnati 2MI.JPG  
    Last edited by SUKHICHANNA; 02-11-2020 at 12:58 AM.