584,860 active members*
5,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Need help with Multicam 44 Plus

Hi everyone,
    I just became the owner of a Multicam 44 Plus. There was no software and no computer with it. I originally acquired it with the plan to fit a new control system (possibly using a KFlop controller). The owner did not have the machine running, but assured me that it was working when it was removed from a previous shop. After getting it home and having a chance to examine it closer, I would like to try to use the machine as is. Although no computer and software came with it, there was a remote pendant and a control panel that must have attached to the machine. All components inside the electrical cabinet look to be in good shape. It also has a vacuum table installed. It has a 4 hp spindle. I have 3 phase power available via rotophase that I use for my machine shop. I have not connected the machine to power yet and do not want to until I find a manual for the machine. So here is where I have some questions and need some help:
    1. Where can I acquire a manual for this machine? I have downloaded a manual from a MultiCam website, but it appears to be for a much newer machine? A digital copy would be great.
    2. I have downloaded MultiCam PSS. Will this allow me to make a connection to the machine if powered up? Does it require a license key or other machine specific files to operate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Russell

Re: Need help with Multicam 44 Plus

I had a MC 44 Plus, circa 1995, it used MC's WinDNC program to communicate with the computer via serial cable. You'll need to know which boards are in the controller to see what MC software you'll need. If it's an older controller then I doubt PSS will work. Multicam uses a proprietary DNC program (which changed thru out the years) to download toolpath files to the controller, there other generic DNC programs available but I've yet to find one that will work with a MC controller.

A common problem with the older MC 44 Pluses, after much use, the wires in the cable carriers would break down causing irratic machine operation. This happened to my machine, I re-wired it and removed some of the unused tubing for air and the mister that I never used anyway, made more room in the cable carriers, less tension on the wires.

Neal

Thanks for the response.
    I downloaded the older version DNC program in case I need it. I understand it will run on an XP machine. I am hoping to get the machine in place this weekend so that I can try powering it up. I will know more once I am able to test the controller.

Russell

Which board does it have in the electrical cabinet?

The interface board has M23_4 printed on it. I'll try to upload a picture.

Here are the drivers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	337044

Here is the VFD.Attachment 337046

Any info on these items would be appreciated. If I need to replace the control boards with a motion controller, I would like to use the stepper drivers. They are Pacific Scientific, but I'll probably have to pull one to look for model numbers. Is there a particular model Multicam used in these machines? If so, are there any manuals or setup instructions available for them?
    Thanks,
    Russell

MC used different motor and driver manufacturers, PS went tits up a few years back, then got bought out by Kollmorgen, I think they're still producing some of the PS Drivers and Motors.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by grussell View Post
    The interface board has M23_4 printed on it. I'll try to upload a picture.
    Here's some info on the M23 board.

Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MC M23 Controller.jpg  

Thanks Neal. Any information is appreciatged. I don't have the machine in its permanent location yet. I am going to have to remove the gantry and the vacuum table in order to move it to where I want to set it up. Does any one have any tips on removing the gantry from these older machines? When I have it located I am going to run a 3 phase circuit to it. However, I wanted to test the motion controls before disassembling the machine, so I ran 1PH 240v to the power transformer and made sure the breaker for the spindle inverter was off. The controller powered up but would hang when "loading init." was showing on the pendant screen. After about the fourth reboot it loaded and I was able to jog all axes. I played with the machine for about 15 - 20 minutes and it froze. I had previously read on here about the 5 volt supply needing to be adjusted to around 5.09 volts. Before rebooting the machine I checked and my supply was running at 4.8 volts. I adjusted the supply to 5.07 volts and rebooted the controller using the white button on the M23 board. The machine rebooted with no problems and has worked fine so far. I even ran some of the sample programs like cut circle, polygon and rectangle that were loaded in the controller (cutting air). I am hopeful that I can start cutting with this machine without having to do a controller retrofit. My next goal before tear down and move is to try and get DNC working. Also, I am thinking about using CAMBAM to produce code for some simple 2D routing I need to do. I couldn't find a post processor for the multicam machine in CAMBAM. Is there any information available on what g and m codes the M23 board is compatible with? I may need to create a custom post processor.

Thanks
    Russell

Multicam G Code info.

MULTICAM G AND M CODE SUPPORT
    The following table lists the supported G and M codes for the MultiCam controller. Parameters within brackets ([]) are optional, the fields represented by "d.d" may be any decimal number and fields represented by "d" may be any positive integer number. All lines of machine code must start with either a G word or a M word.

G00 [Xd.d] [Yd.d] [Zd.d] [Fd.d] [Td] [Ctext string] High speed move (slew)

G01 [Xd.d] [Yd.d] [Zd.d] [Fd.d] Linear move (machine)

G02 [Xd.d] [Yd.d] [Zd.d] [Id.d] [Jd.d] [Kd.d] [Fd.d] CW 2D circular move

G03 [Xd.d] [Yd.d] [Zd.d] [Id.d] [Jd.d] [Kd.d] [Fd.d] CCW 2D circular move

G04 Fd.d Dwell (seconds)

G17 Specify XY plane for helical

G18 Specify ZX plane for helical

G19 Specify YZ plane for helical

G37 Find home

G62 Clear soft home

G70 English programming (inches)

G71 Metric programming (mm)

G72 [Xd.d] [Yd.d] [Zd.d] [Id.d] [Jd.d] [Kd.d] [Fd.d] CW 3D circular move

G73 [Xd.d] [Yd.d] [Zd.d] [Id.d] [Jd.d] [Kd.d] [Fd.d] CCW 3D circular move

G74 Incremental mode for G02/03 arcs

G75 (G90/G91) mode for G02/03 arcs

G83 Rd.d Zd.d Dd.d [Fd.d] Peck drill

G90 Absolute coordinate mode

G91 Incremental coordinate mode

G92 [Xd.d] [Yd.d] [Zd.d] Set soft home

G97 Sd Set spindle speed (rpm)

M00 Program pause

M01 Optional pause

M02 Program end

M11 2D device on (like hpgl PD)

M21 2D device off (like hpgl PU)

M12 3D device on

M22 3D device off

M30 AUX 4 on not affected by the Pause button

M31 AUX 4off not affected by the Pause button

M90 Program start

M99 Exit CNC interpreter

The following table lists the letters used to denote various arguments in ETC CNC version 1.0.

C Tool change operator message (used in G00)

D Peck drill delta (used in G83)

F Feed rate (used in G00, G01, G02, G03, G72, G73, G83)

F Dwell (used in G04)

G Preparatory function

I Circular interpolation value in X dimension (used in G02, G03, G72, G73)

J Circular interpolation value in Y dimension (used in G02, G03, G72, G73)

K Circular interpolation value in Z dimension (used in G02, G03, G72, G73)

M Miscellaneous function (control function)

N Sequence number

R Beginning Z motion dimension (used in G83)

S Spindle rpm (used in G97)

T Tool change (used in G00)

X X motion dimension

Y Y motion dimension

Z Z motion dimension

The following is a 5" square. Rapid level .5 inches above material, feed down 100 ipm, cut feed 200 ipm, rapid down to .1 above material, depth .25 inches

M90

G90

G70

G75

G00 T1

G00 Z-0.5

G00 X0. Y0.

M12

G00 Z-0.1

G01 Z0.25 F1.667

G01 X5. F3.333

G01 Y5.

G01 X0.

G01 Y0.

G00 Z-0.5

M22

G00 X0. Y0.

M02

The following is a 5" circle clockwise, center at 2.5,2.5, .5 rapid level, feed down 60 ipm, cut feed 120 ipm, rapid down to .1, depth of .4".

M90

G90

G70

G75

G00 C1/2"bit

G97 S18000

G00 Z-0.5

G00 X2.5 Y5.

M12

G00 Z-0.1

G01 Z0.4 F1.

G02 I2.5 J2.5 F2.

G00 Z-0.5

M22

G00 X0. Y0.

M02

Thanks Neal for the help. I was able to get the following info on the machine using the Pendant:
    LDR V4.13 Std. 4.13
    MCIF V4.37e
    K520 R4 M23 ID0
    KDM KDM20 v1.11

Ethernet Information
    IP: 0.0.0.0
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    ReXmt: 0
    Short: 0

Looking at the history of interfaces and controllers I didn't see a combination of M23 and KDM 520 listed, nor did I see a mention of the above listed init. files or firmware.
    This must have been a later upgrade The original keypad was with the machine (although it is in rough shape with the end cut from one of the cables), but it looks like the previous owner was only using the pendant which is a model KDM20-P. Is it usual to have both the keypad and pendant attached? Using the pendant there are screens available for digitize, barcode scanner, and ethernet showing up. So based on this information here are some questions I have:
    1. Since the controller appears to be newer and has an ethernet port, will I be able to connect via ethernet instead of serial? I,m hoping this will save me putting together and older computer.
    2. What other hardware would I need to add to take advantage of digitize and barcode scanner?
    3. Was it usual to mix older interfaces and newer control boards?

Thanks
    Russell

I've never set one up on Ethernet. I do know some of the Extratech controller boards had a Ethernet connection before MC actually started using this connection.
    You may have to talk to Maurice on this forum regarding this. There is some info in the second pdf manual I sent regarding setting up and using the Ethernet connection.
    If I remember correctly it was around 2000 when MC started using Ethernet. I would think that if the connection on the outside of the controller case is Ethernet then this is what the machine was designed to use, if it's only Serial then I would tend to believe it was originally Serial. My MC Pro is a 1999 and it only has a serial connection on the Controller housing, but the internal board also has the Ethernet connection, I've only run it via the Serial connection.

Neal

Need help with Ethernet Connection Multicam 44 Plus

So I finally had a chance to try ethernet. The machine controller did not seem to have an option for automatic DCHP connection. However, I was able to set a static I.P. address on it. I configured a local network and connected the machine to it. There was no external ethernet port so I ran a cable into the cabinet and plugged it into the ethernet jack on the KDM 520 board. I loaded Suite 4 on a Win 7 laptop and opened connection manager. I was able to establish a connection and ran a successful IP test. I tried following the steps in the manual for machine setup, but ran into an error when the software tried to upload the machine modules. The pictures are below. It said I needed a firmware update. Does anyone know if this firmware is available? Even though connection manager said the machine was online and not connected I could still access folders on the computer from the machine with DNC. However, trying to load files caused the machine to freeze. Any suggestions?

Russell

Need help with ethernet connection Multicam 44 Plus

I uninstalled Suite 4 from the laptop and installed Multi_Cam PSS. I used the PSS connection tool and manual configured the Ethernet connection. I ran a successfull IP test and was then able to run sample files from the machine using DNC. Job reporter and Job server both seem to be working. However, job previewer will not load. I get the error message shown below. Is this a Win7 problem?

I am very pleased that I can make an ethernet connection to the machine.

Russell

Re: Need help with ethernet connection Multicam 44 Plus

Did you install Job Server as a XP compatible program, when ever do a install I normally connect to my laptop 1st. I run Win 7 Pro but my Jobserver and Suite 4 I have installed and run as a XP compatible program, and as administrator.

Sorry, for not replying sooner. I have not had time for the past week or so to work with the machine. I did get jobserver running under win7 by installing the missing DLL file noted above. I can connect using ethernet through a switch to the machine. Everything in PSS seems to be working. However, I would like to use the Suite4 tools. I can load the suite and it connects and then attempts to upload the machine modules from the controller. It is at this point that it fails and says the message in picture. Would an XP machine possibly solve this issue, or do I need to obtain a firmware upgrade?
    The connection manager in Suite4 says online but not connected. Connections seem to work if using PSS.

Thanks,
    Russell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error Screen.PNG