585,665 active members*
3,633 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > VFD + estop mushroom switch= problems?

VFD + estop mushroom switch= problems?

So I've fitted a Leeson VFD to my ZAY and have been extremely happy with the results. I am amazed at how much better this machine now runs.

But to my question.

I've studied the Leeson manual that came with the VFD and their online resources in an effort to learn how to wire in an Estop plunger switch.

Currently I am using the remote key pad which performs all functions. The stop button is red but very small.

I'm using the SubMicro inverter SM series (if anyone is familiar with the leeson product line) driving a 3ph 2hp motor.

The control wiring terminal strip indicates closure of terminal #1 to #11 for continuous run / open for stop.

My question is:

Would it be logical to place my Estop switch IN LINE of my T1 -> T11 connection wire. So rather then the terminal connection going directly to the remote key pad terminal connection, one of the two wires is routed through the contact of the Estop.
    Currently these terminals are open / closed via the remote key pad blister button.
    My concern is that by activating my Estop the remote key pad would be "unaware" of this resulting in an internal issue with the VFD control.

I just can't get a clear answer from my local sources.
    Thank you in advance for your time.

9 1/2
    Missing-a-few-pieces.
    “Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."
    CMRA #111p

Does your Leeson drive have an external trip input? Something akin to this should exist for the purpose of wiring in the Estop circuit. When a circuit through the external trip input opens, it will then power the drive down normally.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I don't see a reference to an 'external trip input. Here's a GIF of the lesson wiring schematic for control of the vfd.

The manual covers most every thing except installation of an emergency stop button. I assume that is because the requirements of the installation would vary tremendously with the application of their VFD units.

Thanks for taking the time to offer input.
    9 1/2

9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

Just from a casual read of an online manual, it appears that various elective functions can be opted for, for TB13A, B or E, one of those functions being "external fault", which I believe is what the Estop function would be considered to be. Take a look and see if that makes sense. They tell you what two terminals have to be 'made' to sense the external input.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

As Hu mentioned, the manual appears to show that P10=8 and use the Function select terminals to input a N.C. stop button on TB13, when using the hand unit.
    If you are configured for Hand unit, the regular MOM 3 wire stop P.B. cannot be wired for external control.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Wow you guys actually went to the leeson site to read the manual??
    Geez that is awsome. thanks.
    H.F.D. thanks for putting me onto the 13a, I read the settings but it just didn't sink in and Al, good eyes spotting P10 that's what I needed since the remote key pad only uses terminals 13b and 13e leaving 13a (P10) to be set up for an Estop. I've studied the manual for three months (literally) and yet over looked that.

Worked like a CHARM!! Now the original Estop switch is wired into my VFD with the key pad mounted beside. Set up the decell to .2 of a second and even better, the system wont even start with the Estop left open.

UP next: getting my control software to >Spindle on< >spindle off< which I think will work through the built in relay but that's another thread.

Thanks again for taking the time to point me in the right direction guys. To a self taugh CNC'r that means a lot. I only wish I had enough knowlege to help others.

HOWEVER: If anyone is thinking of retro'ng thier own ZAY Lathemaster, THAT I can help with!
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

Somebody's got to RTFM

But really, after you've installed a few VFD's and learn to feel your way around in these expert manuals, I'd call my reading more like 'scanning for the relevant info"