584,860 active members*
5,187 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Apparent issue with SJ200 & Leeson 3ph 2HP motor
Page 2 of 2 12
    The grounds is normally connected to the Ground lug on the VFD and then carry on through to the motor frame.
    I don't think it will be necessary to put the jumper on as it does not really do anything, as long as you connect just the L1 & L3 to the 240v, the neutral is not connected.
    I think the previous damage was cause by wrong hook-up all together (wrong terminals strip).
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I think a picture of a working 1ph 220V hookup was posted earlier. You should compare that picture against your setup.

I have studied your excellent photo. It appears that you don't use a "jumper". I will wire mine exactly like yours. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I think a picture of a working 1ph 220V hookup was posted earlier. You should compare that picture against your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by bilinghm View Post
    I have studied your excellent photo. It appears that you don't use a "jumper". I will wire mine exactly like yours. Thanks!
    There is a jumper on the second row of connectors on the left most side of the group of three (pins named +1 and +). Looking at page 2-20 of the SJ200's manual you will see this jumper connecting the pins in black (versus the pins in white where you make your power connections. Just don't confuse these pins as with the bottom most row. The diagram is a little confusing really... they tried to pack too much on the page. You can also see the jumper in the photo on page 2-22. For me this jump was installed when the 3HP SJ200 arrived. It's probably on yours already as well.

I examined my VFD and I see the jumper to which you refer. It is a small sheet metal bridge that permanently connects the first two terminals on the left on the second row. It was my understanding that the second row of terminals were not a part of the power wiring diagram, but are associated only with braking functions.

There was some discussion of creating a wire jumper to connect L1 and L2. I now see that the "jumper" that appears on the confusing and inadequate wiring diagram from Hitachi is actually the factory installed treminal bridge you have pointed out. Mystery solved! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    There is a jumper on the second row of connectors on the left most side of the group of three (pins named +1 and +). Looking at page 2-20 of the SJ200's manual you will see this jumper connecting the pins in black (versus the pins in white where you make your power connections. Just don't confuse these pins as with the bottom most row. The diagram is a little confusing really... they tried to pack too much on the page. You can also see the jumper in the photo on page 2-22. For me this jump was installed when the 3HP SJ200 arrived. It's probably on yours already as well.

SJ200 Issue

The three phase inputs of the SJ200 are totally symmetrical, so technically, single phase can be connected to any pair of terminals. The reason jumpering to the "unused" phase is required in some inverters is to because they have loss of phase detection. Adding the jumper fools the drive into thinking there are 3 phases present.

As for the drive that had power wired to the second terminal row, it is probably damaged beyond economical repair, unfortunately. We have noted that the single-phase wiring details could use some beefing up, and we will do this in the next revision of the manual. If you have questions, please call Hitachi's Technical Support Line at 914-333-2900.

Paul Curtis
    Asst. Product Manager, AC VF Inverters
    Hitachi America, Ltd.

Hi Paul great to see Hitachi Product Manager on this site.

I think there is a biger problem as the drive wires L1 L2 L3
    were not used the power was applyed to the +1 + -
    where you would put your Braking resistor I think that is
    were the jumper is that was being talked about. I may be wrong
    on this but thats how it reads in the differant posts I have
    read
    Mactec54

Last week I sent a letter to Hitachi about the confusion associated with their instructions for single phase hook up of their VFDs. I directed them to this discussion thread and asked then to respond. They immediately sent me this attached PDF file. I see that they have also written a post to the group. This is very good to see.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Letter from Hitachi

Here is the personal reply I received from Paul Curtis. See my original letter below.

Dear Mr. Cunningham,

Thank you for your recent email. While we deeply regret any confusion you had, we do truly appreciate your feedback. We make every effort to produce a thorough and clear instruction manual. I’m sure you can imagine, preparing a manual for such a product is a complex task, and sometimes details can be overlooked. We value input from customers such as you to continually improve our documentation. We will make sure this matter is addressed in the next revision of our manual.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write to us, and please feel free to contact us if you require any further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Paul Curtis
    Assistant Product Manager
    AC Inverter Products
    Hitachi America, Ltd.
    Tarrytown, NY
    Technical Support Line: (914) 333-2900
    http://www.hitachi.us/inverters

Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 3:49 PM
    To: #HAL_inverterinfo
    Subject: CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Hitachi SJ200-015NFU

You have received a new global support request:

First Name: bill
    Last Name: cunningham
    Phone: 770-632-5711
    Email: [email protected]

From web page:Hitachi Global Support Form
    Subject: Hitachi SJ200-015NFU
    Product Category: AC Variable Speed Drives

Question: I recently purchased a Hitachi SJ200-015NFU Variable Frequency AC Inverter Drive for use in my home machine shop. I am shocked by the extremely poor wiring instructions supplied with this unit. I will be using the inverter with single phase 240 VAC power. The section that discusses the proper single phase wiring of this expensive and complex unit is approximately one sentence on page 2-19. There is no photo of the proper wiring (as there is for three phase). This lack of information can lead to inncorrect wiring and expensive damage to the unit. You do your product and your customer a disservice with such poor instructions. See a discussion of this at: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32014 You need to do something about this!

This thread has been of tremendous value to me as I just bought the VFD in question.
    Hope everything worked out well for the thread originator.

However, as I was reading the PDF with the info from Hitachi on "Sizing Three-Phase Inverters for use with Single-Phase Supply" I was taken aback by the sentence "The rule of thumb Hitachi recommends is to start with the (motor's) nameplate full load amperage (FLA) rating and double it. Then select an inverter with this doubled continuous current rating."

I'll be driving a 3 hp, 3~ Baldor VM3559T dual voltage motor which, if I'm reading the plate correctly is "7.8-7.4-3.7".

So "15.6" for the motor and the VFD is rated at 11?

Now I don't really -need- 3 hp, but the motor came so cheap.....ahh well.
    So does this mean buying a 2 hp then?

Give a call to the Hitachi tech support for clarification. When I talked with them about this they said that derating was not necessary. The sentence below may provide clarification as well. Perhaps for 3HP and less if you buy a VFD rated for single phase you are fine... perhaps only when you go beyond that and/or buy a three-single phase only VFD that there is a need to derate. I sure would given them a call though. I've had nothing but great response from them. Not the usual tech support.

"
    Although Hitachi does not actually offer inverters above 3 hp specifically designed for and rated for single-phase operation, single-phase power can in fact be used with larger rating inverters, as long as care is taken to properly upsize and apply the inverter.
    "

I have their number right here, I'll call tomorrow.
    Of course, hind sight tells me I should have checked all this out BEFORE I did a ton of work to adapt the motor.
    Senior moment, eh?

Page 2 of 2 12