584,798 active members*
4,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Materials question: MDF vs. tempered hardboard

Materials question: MDF vs. tempered hardboard

I have seen a few DIY's that use MDF for various parts. plates. and assemblies. How does 1/4" tempered hardboard stack up against 1/4" MDF? Any experience with these 2 materials?

Thanks for any input you may have!

Thinking newbie

Re: Materials question: MDF vs. tempered hardboard

MDF is stronger.
    But unless you are laminating to make thicker material, I don't know where you'd use 1/4" MDF for machine parts.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks!

1/4" double tempered hardboard is much stiffer than 1/4" MDF. I've used it for rocket fins. The MDF would have shredded for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryR View Post
    I have seen a few DIY's that use MDF for various parts. plates. and assemblies. How does 1/4" tempered hardboard stack up against 1/4" MDF? Any experience with these 2 materials?

Thanks for any input you may have!

Thinking newbie
    These are two entirely different materials, frankly I wouldn't use either for a machine tool build of any size. Unless maybe it was for demonstration or extremely light duty. In a nut shell neither 1/4" MDF nor tempered hardboard is stiff enough at least for machines e would be calling routers. My guess though is that tempered hardboard would hold up better as I use it for bench tops, storage boxes and the like where I really doubt MDF would hold up well at all.

As for MDF it is a very capable material if you like working with it. I don' t like working with MDF (dust) so I avoid it as much as possible but smaller router type machines are very possible with MDF. That is if you base you project around at least 3/4" stock doubling it up in places and building box beams in other places.

For most people though I suggest that they consider steel tubing for their machine designs. This especially if you can source steel at less than retail prices. The usual places to look for cheaper steel are junk yards, steel vendors selling drops and machine/fabrication shops.

In any event tell use what you are thinking about building. Knowing what the application is has a big impact on how people will suggest alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    In a nut shell neither 1/4" MDF nor tempered hardboard is stiff enough at least for machines e would be calling routers.
    Agreed, but I suppose a laminated beam of double tempered masonite might be really dense and stiff. It would be a lot of effort for questionable results though.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    Agreed, but I suppose a laminated beam of double tempered masonite might be really dense and stiff. It would be a lot of effort for questionable results though.
    It wouldn't be the first time I did something the hard way. I've used masonite and also hardwood plywoods, such as Baltic Birch, Apple Ply and such. Frankly if I really wanted to build a small light weight machine I'd go with the plywood even though it is far more expensive than the masonite. For one I know that the plywoods can be glued and have joints that can be relied upon. Plywood also holds screws and inserts better.