585,917 active members*
3,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Basic Controller Connections

I've been trying to find a simple connection diagram to show where and how to connect manual Up/Down (For/Rev) buttons to a CNC controller. I'm using a 2M542 controller, the connections are shown as:

PUL+ (+5V)
    PUL- (PUL)
    DIR+ (+5V)
    DIR- (DIR)
    ENA+ (+5V)
    ENA- (ENA)

I'm sure it has to do with the DIR connections, but I don't want to put voltage in the wrong place so I wanted to find a diagram on exactly where the buttons connect, but have had NO luck anywhere. If someone hear can help it would be much appreciated.

Re: Basic Controller Connections

Quote Originally Posted by kthomson View Post
    I've been trying to find a simple connection diagram to show where and how to connect manual Up/Down (For/Rev) buttons to a CNC controller. I'm using a 2M542 controller, the connections are shown as:

PUL+ (+5V)
    PUL- (PUL)
    DIR+ (+5V)
    DIR- (DIR)
    ENA+ (+5V)
    ENA- (ENA)

I'm sure it has to do with the DIR connections, but I don't want to put voltage in the wrong place so I wanted to find a diagram on exactly where the buttons connect, but have had NO luck anywhere. If someone hear can help it would be much appreciated.
    These connections you list are step and direction signals and cannot be used for manual up/down or fwd/up functions. this functionality will have to be setup trough extra inputs and the software you are using.

I am not using any software. The controllers are being triggered manually. I can run them in one direction with no problem, but one of the two motors has to be reversible.

direction or DIR should reverse the motor direction DIR - must be referenced to power supply negative (all - signals must be) when providing a pulsing signal to PUL+ and no signal to DIR + the motor will turn in clockwise direction, while pulsing PUL + and maintaining a high signal to DIR+ the motor will turn CW. Enable must of course be supplied with a high signal as well. This would be a sourcing setup, the same can be accomplished using sinking and referencing all + signals to your positive supply, and using negative as a signal. Keep in mind that these inputs are likely 5VDC and not your incoming power, you must have a seperate power supply to accomplish this.

Thanks, I thought that was the case, but the way they are marked is somewhat confusing. So if I connect all of the (-) signals to 5V- and leave 'DIR+' without a signal it will turn in one direction, then if I give 'DIR+' a 5V signal, it will turn in the other?

No, the DIR+ and DIR- are two required connections it appears. From my understanding of that drive you would plug DIR- into your GND and your DIR+ into your DIR pulse signal. When DIR+ goes high it will move one direction, when DIR+ goes low it will move the opposite. Without a GND connection on DIR- there is no way for current to flow because it appears they are discrete GND connections for STP and DIR.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

if you have the manual for the 2M542 stepper driver
    you will find a diagram like this

Attachment 337578

to make the motor turn you could replace the controller in the diagram
    with a pulse generator connected to the + pulse input
    and a switch to the + direction input
    the - pulse and - direction inputs to the pulse generators ground / negative

this thread has more -
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...20506-cnc.html

see post 3
    the pulse generator can be connected to the stepper drivers DC supply

John

PS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2M542 connections to pulse gen.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	337590

PPS
    still not found a manual but I found this -
    Attachment 337598
    and this -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KonjbLB4lk

Thanks to the input on this forum, I found the method necessary. If you connect only the Dir- and ground the Run input, the motor turns in one direction, then if you put voltage on the Dir+ connection and ground the Run input it turns in the other direction. It's simple, but something they don't bother to document (controller came with NO documentation), and I looked for hours online trying to find a simple diagram on how to connect direction buttons with no luck. I simply used a 2 pole relay to supply voltage to the Dir+ connection on one set of contacts, and ground the Run input with the other set. This method works perfectly.