585,737 active members*
4,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    CNC Brute Guest

New Grizzly Lathe what else do I need?

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting the 7"x12" grizzly lathe.

Can you guys give me an idea of what else I should get?

Hi CNC Brute,

Are you a machinist? Do you own measuring tools? Calipers are nice, but if you want to do serious measuring you will need micrometers. The same holds true for any inside work. If you have gages, you can do a lot. If you have inside mics, you can do a lot more. Dial indicators are a must for any offset work or to ensure a setup. A wiggler will be spot-on. Or there abouts. Its a small lathe, so it won't be too necessary to have the high dollar measuring tools unless you are building something like a scale model working space shuttle. Some of the guys that I know have built steam engines with calipers.

Cutting tools and a way to grind them are important. (Carbide lathe tools can be ground with a silicon carbide "green" stone on a grinder) Boring tools, knurling tools (this machine is too light for anything beyond aluminum, I'm afraid), a good drill chuck (I favor the keyless or "ball bearing" type, myself, depending on the job. The cheap key type chucks you find now-a-days are junk, usually .012" TIR or worse) a GOOD rolling center (I know these are called other things, but... the machine doesn't come with one), a four jaw chuck and a good book (book needed if you haven't turned anything ever before or if its been a while).

Does this sound like a lot or about what you expected? If you have been doing a lot of machining and I've missed the point, please say so and I apologize. If you are looking for some advice on how to get started let me know. I love the basics and have been involved with people just getting started. Otherwise I'll hold my peace and keep watching for your posts!

G' Luck

Doug

I was wondering if anyone out there has any opinions about the grizzley metalworking tools. I am considering the purchase of the 12" x 36" or the 13.5" x 40" gear head lathes. I don't know about the grizzley metal working tools, but they appear to be as good as any of the jet or other tools I have seen. I would shoot for a hardenge tool room as I know they are very high quality, but they are more than my budget even used.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

CNC Brute Guest
    Doug,

You hit the nail on the head.

What I am doing is starting out small scale and I eventually want to open a full blown shop. However, my funds are severely limited and I was thinking that I could start with smaller parts for the hobby community and then work into more large scale industrial stuff in the years to come.

I have a machining class right now and am learning the basics. More than likely I wish finish the degree the school has to offer. I am also learning AutoCAD on my own using our computers at work and a book I bought.

Mastercam is one of the classes offered at school when we get into the cnc stuff. And I am also currently building a 6x6 foot CNC machine for sign work and aluminum etching.

I was checking out Grizzlys selection of calipers and measuring equipment. Believe it not I had a tough time trying to find digital calipers that they offer.

I also started checking out mmsonline.com.

Another question I thought of on the way in to work: Do machine shops charge state sales tax?

My brother owns a service business so he doesn't have to, but with a machine shop I'm not sure.

Also if anyone has any starting a machine shop websites please let me know. I have only found a couple places. And they weren't very informative.

Thanks Tons,

Matt

You might want to check out the homier mini lathe, basicly the same thing but cheaper and a different color.

To start I got about 10 hss blanks, a chuck, a thread cutting blank, parting tool, center drills, and drill bits, I forgot a boring bar, left out a live center because I am short on the money right now so I figured I would use the dead center for the time being. I have a nice Kurt caliper that I am using. I should get a set of micrometers when I get a chance to.
    The little machineshop has a nice selection of goodies for these machines
    littlemachineshop.com

Jon

CNC Brute Guest
    Jon,

I checked Homier's site. Is the one you have 7x12? It looks promising, and you're right it IS cheaper.

How do you like it? Maybe I'll start leaning that way.

Yes, that is the one I have. Im liking it a lot. The tool post on the one I have is .011" below center. I use a flat feeler gage as a shim for it. I plan on making my own quick change tool post when I get my mill done.

Jon