585,758 active members*
4,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 440 Vises, What Do YOU Use??

Tormach 440 Vises, What Do YOU Use??

I run two 688's on my 1100, I'm picking up a 440 and I think the kurt is a bit large yeah? I'm thinking about going with the 4in tormach vise, but I'm not sure about the quality? I'm really not going to be using the vise all that much, I [lan on using a lot of fixture plates, but I'm interested in hearing what everyone is using on their 440's and how they like them.

Thanks!

Re: Tormach 440 Vises, What Do YOU Use??

If the quality of their 4 inch vise is anything like their 5 inch CNC vise, you'll be getting a good vise.

I have 2 of their 5 inch vises and their are very high quality.

First thing I did was remove the steel jaws and replaced them with aluminum soft jaws. Soft jaws even remove the need for parallels.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Thanks Steve! I've been thinking I want to save some money I the vise bc I'm going to use fixture plates for the most part but I know a vise is not something I want to save money on. I gotta fund out if I can put Kurt dovelock jaws on it. I would love to be able to use the same softjaws I use on my 1100 on this one as well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to mount the vise to a plate so I can quickie it on and off, and swap between fixture plates.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I do a lot of jobs that require fixtures and when I do, I'll make 2 fixtures. Then I have one fixture in the machine running and one on the bench being loaded.

The vise jaws from your 6 inch Kurt vise won't work in your 4 inch Tormach vises so just get that idea out of your head.

I use a lot of soft jaws and I get them from monsterjaws.com. You can't make jaws as economically as you can buy them from monsterjaws. com. I know, I've tried.

monsterjaws.com
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    monsterjaws.com
    What would I do without an online spell checker. Thanks for correcting me.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Haha, I hear that. It's funny you say that, I was looking into a making my own and I came to the same conclusion. I would have been really happy if i could have thrown a set of the kurt dovelock jaws on the 4in tormach, but I just looked at them and the mounting holes for the jaws look about 4in apart themselves. I wouldn't mind the overhang on the sides, I run 8 and 10in softjaws in the 688's no problem..but I guess I will quit thinking about that.

What do you use to locate your plates? I'm thinking in going to run a sub plate to the table and use pins and bushings to locate additional plates, one for a vise and additional plates for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Haha, I hear that. It's funny you say that, I was looking into a making my own and I came to the same conclusion. I would have been really happy if i could have thrown a set of the kurt dovelock jaws on the 4in tormach, but I just looked at them and the mounting holes for the jaws look about 4in apart themselves. I wouldn't mind the overhang on the sides, I run 8 and 10in softjaws in the 688's no problem..but I guess I will quit thinking about that.

What do you use to locate your plates? I'm thinking in going to run a sub plate to the table and use pins and bushings to locate additional plates, one for a vise and additional plates for parts.
    I use end stops from Edge Technologies. They bolt onto the back of the vise.

Thanks I'll take a look

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk