584,800 active members*
4,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best turnkey 4'x8' cnc plasma table under 20k?

Greetings everyone.
    I've been looking for a turnkey unit under 20k. I have found quite a few but, I would like to hear from you guys before I drop that kind of coin.
    Below is a list of my needs from this machine.
    * Be able to cut up to 5/8" (Not regularly, just want the ability if ever needed.)
    * Water table.
    * Router adapter.
    * Plate Marker.
    * 5th axis for tube cutter.
    * THC.
    * Ethernet Based.
    I know there are a ton of other factors but just want to get the conversation started.
    I have a Powermax 1000 already but I'm looking into the 65 or the 85. I've read a bunch of post by Jim Colt and the newer machines have a better cut quality.
    Right now I have my eyes on the 4'x8' ArcLight Dynamics unit. With the PowerMax 65 fully optioned it's right at 20k.

Would anyone here have any other suggestions?
    Thanks again.
    Mike

Re: Best turnkey 4'x8' cnc plasma table under 20k?

I bought the shopsabre sidekick and am really happy with it. They have options for everything you described and are close to that price range. I run my table with a Hypertherm pm85 and have successfully cut an inch thick. High quality but not high price. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by curbster View Post
    I bought the shopsabre sidekick and am really happy with it. They have options for everything you described and are close to that price range. I run my table with a Hypertherm pm85 and have successfully cut an inch thick. High quality but not high price. Good luck in your search!

Thanks for the reply.
    I looked at their site but didnt find direct info on the options. I found quotes on the options but no details.
    The Shopsabre's look nicely built.

Yeah the 4x4 which I own is 1600 lbs, it doesn't wiggle at all when cutting at high ipms or loading heavy plate. Call Brandon for a quote, he's great to work with 1 (800) 493-6021

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolical View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I looked at their site but didnt find direct info on the options. I found quotes on the options but no details.
    The Shopsabre's look nicely built.
    If you're on Instagram, I post a lot of videos of my work. Check out @jackjacksmetal

Very nice work!

Thanks!

I just looked at the JD2 unit. It's really nice but lacks the optional accessories. I don't know if they plan on offering them in the future? Very well build machine with a lot of thought involved.
    Any other suggestions?

Star Lab

Built on a precision platform, protected hardened and ground linear rails, extra large gears and gear rack, Magnetic breakaway with multiple bolt patterns and pockets for auxiliary tools, 2 120v AC relays in the electronics, uses Ethernet, handles routers, stepper or servo, rotary tables and scribes. High performance torch height control and a control with more user friendly capability.

Plasmaland

- - - Updated - - -

Star Lab

Built on a precision platform, uses Ethernet, handles routers, stepper or servo, rotary tables and scribes. High performance torch height control and a control with more capability.

Plasmaland
    Now featuring Plasmaland online

Thanks for your input BTA.
    I ended up going with the 4'x8' ArcLight Dynamics fully loaded including a Hypertherm 65. It fit my budget and I didn't have to pay any taxes. That alone was basically a 2k savings.
    They are close enough I can take their 4 hr training course on my machine then load it up and drive it to it's new home.

Again, thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    Mike

I'll second the Shopsabre brand. We bought the 4896 model (4x8) back in 2010. I looked at many different brands and really didn't like what I was seeing until I came across the Shopsabre. It is a very well built American made system that delivers awesome results at a good price point. We production cut 10,000 plus parts annually on ours. Be very careful with some of the other brands. There are some very poorly built systems out there for a similar price point. You are also on the right track with a Hypertherm Powermax. We wasted 2 years trying to make a Thermal Dynamics A80 production cut. There is absolutely no comparison between the two brands. A Hypertherm is hands down the better brand.

You can do things with the Arclight controls and the Hypertherm Powermax 65 you cannot do with any other brand in the same price range. Ask them about the Full Automation (RS485( option to be able to control all of the settings automatically (including Cut current, and air pressure) adding features like "Soft pierce" on thicker material that increases consumable life. Using Cut Rules in SheetCAm that comes with the Arclight gives you full control of a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    You can do things with the Arclight controls and the Hypertherm Powermax 65 you cannot do with any other brand in the same price range. Ask them about the Full Automation (RS485( option to be able to control all of the settings automatically (including Cut current, and air pressure) adding features like "Soft pierce" on thicker material that increases consumable life. Using Cut Rules in SheetCAm that comes with the Arclight gives you full control of a cut.
    What is "soft pierce" and what does it actually do? I can tweak all of the settings in my control software, I have a ton of options with wincnc and shopsabre.

Soft pierce is based on having control of the plasma Cut Current AMPS to dynamically change it during a cut. It lets you lower the pierce AMPS by a defined percentage and it automatically lowers the plunge rate for that pierce. By starting the pierce at lower current (and even changing the air pressure) you reduce the shock on the consumables and lower the back-splash of molten metal (which limits the thickness of materiel an automated torch can do) . By slowing down the process it allows piercing on thicker metal and puts less stress on the consumables Early testing shows a doubling of consumable life.The key to this is being able to change the cutting amps as its cutting.

In order to use SoftPierce you have to have remote software control over settings normally done manually: The current setting and the air pressure. The Hypertherm Powermax line (including the new 45XP) is the only products in the air plasma space that have the option to add a communications port to the unit and give you real time access to settings. The control software has to have a way to dynamically insert changes in a way that is not based on macros that can cause motion delays.

Check your INI setting options for WINCNC . I don't think you will find options to set or to change the plasma amps or air pressure and less likely from G-Code dynamically.

Thanks for the explanation. I definitely don't have that.

Thanks for the additional info. I will ask about those options. I will be in Bend, Or. on the 23rd of Dec. to pick it up and get their training. Early Christmas for me

We are selling our Westcott Plasma 5'x10' Pro Series Plasma Table and Ultra Cut Plasma System, we have requested a refund from Westcott Plasma with no success only broken promises.

This Unit will be Brand New and currently at Westcott Plasma in Apache Junction, Arizona.

It maybe available for pickup soon.

This machine was purchased last year, our major loss can save you lots of time and money, we have already waited 9 months and lost thousands of dollars waiting for the build, our business suffered losses after waiting past the 30 days of build time as promised. We had no choice but to purchase a different machine, purchasing this machine can save you the aggravation of demand letters, lawsuits, investigators and your local police departments time filing endless paperwork against Westcott Plasma.

We purchased this system April 16, 2018 and funding went thru to Westcott Plasma April 26, 2018, if it is done and you pay us 70,000.00, we will pay off our note and you can pick it up directly from them and save yourself lots of time and aggravation.

You can make payment arrangements thru Well Made Manufacturing 602-323-2655 for purchase.

Best CNC plasma table cutter cutting size is 1300x2500mm (4x8 feet),it’s a robust machine with high-end components that are built to tackle larger jobs.Plasma cutters are one of the best ways to cut through sheet metal such as steel, stainless steel, brass and aluminum. You can cut through metal with speed and precision as it burns through the metal with plasma.

P-Series plasma cutting machine is used for cutting thick metals. The Hypertherm cutting head is a reliable and robust plasma source. Together with the CNC control unit and power source provides precise and high-quality cutting. P-Series plasma cutting machine is designed for precision cutting, High Performance, and High Speed. It can be equipped with Pipe cutting, a 5-Axis beveling head, multi-plasma heads, and Oxy cutting heads.