584,833 active members*
5,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Newtonian Pressure Drop vs Non-Newtonian Prssure Drop

Question Newtonian Pressure Drop vs Non-Newtonian Prssure Drop

Hi,

I did some experiments on Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids measuring the pressure drop through a horizontal pipeline. The Newtonian two-phase flow was water+air and the non-Newtonian was (water+xanthan gum)+air.
    I prepared 2 samples (2 concentrations) of the xanthan gum solution 1g/1L (995 kg/m3) and 2g/1L (990 kg/m3). I am wondering if it is logical that the Newtonian pressure drop was bigger than the non-Newtonian one?! Also the 2g/1L sample should've been with a higher density comparing to the 1g/1L!

Thanks

Re: Newtonian Pressure Drop vs Non-Newtonian Prssure Drop

How does the viscosity of the water+xanthan gum+air change with shear? Some non-Newtonian fluids, like blood, get thinner with shear. Others, like corn starch in water, get thicker.

The flow rate will affect it also. Higher flow rate means higher shear. I suppose too you need to know if the mixture changes the friction against the tube wall.

Re: Newtonian Pressure Drop vs Non-Newtonian Prssure Drop

Quote Originally Posted by vegipete View Post
    How does the viscosity of the water+xanthan gum+air change with shear? Some non-Newtonian fluids, like blood, get thinner with shear. Others, like corn starch in water, get thicker.

The flow rate will affect it also. Higher flow rate means higher shear. I suppose too you need to know if the mixture changes the friction against the tube wall.
    The xanthan gum solution gets less viscous as the shear stress increases so, when we increase the flow rates, the shear stress increases and it will result in a small pressure drop.

Thanks