584,319 active members*
6,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post KFLOP and Labview

Hello

I want to send G code commands to my KFLOP via Labview. I won't be using the .NET interface. Instead, I want to set up the KFLOP as a virtual COM port (according to these instructions: http://dynomotion.com/Help/VirtualComPortwithKFLOP.pdf ) - then I can interface with that using the VISA interface in Labview.

My issue comes in the procedure to set the KFLOP as a virtual COM port - on the second step I have a problem, where the instruction is to enter the Advanced Tab in the driver and set check the "Load VCP" box. In my driver, I have no Advanced tab available at all, and that box is not present anywhere else. Could anyone help with this at all?

Many thanks,
    Robert

Re: KFLOP and Labview

Hi Robert,

Because it is not often used we stopped installing the COM Port Driver by default. See an updated procedure (which is much simpler - Right Click Dynoport.inf - Install) here:

http://dynomotion.com/Help/VirtualComPortwithKFLOP.pdf

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi Tom,

Thansk - unfortunately when I right Click Dynoport.inf - Install, I get an error message "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation".

Any idea how to deal with that?

Thanks
    Robert

Hi Robert,

What OS are you running? (It seems to work on my W10 system)

What Version of KMotion are you selecting the USB Drivers from? (please use Test version 4.34a or later).

You might try this alternate method using Device Manager. Delete/Rename the Dynobus.inf file so Device manager can't choose it.
    The INF File You selected does not support this method of installation - Windows 7 Help Forums

An alternate workaround would be to reset the FTDI chip using an FTDI Utility called FT_PROG.exe. In that case the standard FTDI Drivers should work. But I'm hoping that isn't necessary.

Regards
    TK

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your help. The alternate method you posted the link to worked for me. I can now see my KFLOP as COM6.

I attempted to send it some G code, simply to enable/power the axis (I only have 1 axis for this setup) but I'm getting nowhere with that. Is there any resource you could point me towards to help me get to grips with G code. I think it looks relatively simple provided the axis is properly initialized and I think this might be where I am falling down. I assume I need to send a sequence of initialization codes on startup - then relatively simple G01 commands should work to carry out the simple moves I need?

Many thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Robert,

What OS are you running? (It seems to work on my W10 system)

What Version of KMotion are you selecting the USB Drivers from? (please use Test version 4.34a or later).

You might try this alternate method using Device Manager. Delete/Rename the Dynobus.inf file so Device manager can't choose it.
    The INF File You selected does not support this method of installation - Windows 7 Help Forums

An alternate workaround would be to reset the FTDI chip using an FTDI Utility called FT_PROG.exe. In that case the standard FTDI Drivers should work. But I'm hoping that isn't necessary.

Regards

Hi Robert,

I should have mentioned earlier you can't really send GCode directly to KFLOP using the Virtual COM Port driver. To make use of our Motion Libraries that have our GCode Interpreter, Trajectory Planner, Kinematics, coordinated motion, etc... the app needs to interface to our DLL Libraries (C++ or .NET). KFLOP itself only accepts lower level text script commands that can be sent with the Virtual COM port driver. For example to enable axis 0 and make a relative move of 10000 counts you might send:

EnableAxis0;MoveRel0=10000

This assumes Axis 0 has somehow been configured for your motor/drives.

The first step would be to get your motor configured and moving using our KMotion.exe program.

The available script commands are listed here:

Commands

Hopefully you can do what you need to do using those rather than GCode

HTH
    Regards
    TK

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. As I understand it, I can't send GCode directly to the G-code Interpreter (or if I can, it's not going to be straightforward)? In the spirit of investigating other options, I've looked at the .NET Labview example that comes with the KFLOP download (Kmotion DotNet DLL Sample.vi) - however, the VI is broken. There are several errors, but the core issue is with the .NET Constructor I think.

If I go back to basics: 1) I try to load the KMotion_dotNET(1.0.1.0).dll in "Select .NET Constructor"; 2) when I navigate and select the .dll file I get "An error occurred trying to load the assembly". Is there any chance this is a common issue you could guess the source of? I've tried placing the .NET dll in the same directory as the Labview .exe and also the sample vi, as I've read threads saying that it either has to be located in those locations or else in the GAC (I can't see it in the GAC either - but apparently locating the dll in the .exe directory is more advisable)

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Robert,

I should have mentioned earlier you can't really send GCode directly to KFLOP using the Virtual COM Port driver. To make use of our Motion Libraries that have our GCode Interpreter, Trajectory Planner, Kinematics, coordinated motion, etc... the app needs to interface to our DLL Libraries (C++ or .NET). KFLOP itself only accepts lower level text script commands that can be sent with the Virtual COM port driver. For example to enable axis 0 and make a relative move of 10000 counts you might send:

EnableAxis0;MoveRel0=10000

This assumes Axis 0 has somehow been configured for your motor/drives.

The first step would be to get your motor configured and moving using our KMotion.exe program.

The available script commands are listed here:

Commands

Hopefully you can do what you need to do using those rather than GCode

HTH
    Regards

Hi Robert,

It won't work simply copying KMotion_dotNet.dll somewhere as it depends on other DLLs and other files.

I assume KMotion.exe runs correctly on your system?

Try setting the Windows Environmental Path to where KMotion_dotNet.dll is located at <KMotion install>\KMotion\Release to see if that solves the issue. You will probably need to restart LabView for it to utilize the new environment.

Regards
    TK

Hi Tom,

Yes, KMotion.exe works fine for me. I followed your advice and set the Windows Environmental path to KMotion/KMotion Release/ but that did not solve my issue. Any other ideas what might be going on for me?

Thanks for your help,
    Robert